Motorola Solutions seeks Government Affairs Director
Government Affairs Director
On any given day, every moment matters to someone, somewhere. And every moment, Motorola Solutions’ innovations, products and services play essential roles in people’s lives. We help firefighters see around buildings and police officers see around street corners. We keep utility workers connected and visible to each other with real-time voice and data communication across the smart grid. And we provide the situational awareness first responders need when a moment brings catastrophe. We help people be their best in their moments that matter.
We are currently looking for a talented and skilled Government Affairs Director to help us grow our global footprint and be responsible for leading government affairs activity in Europe and Africa with particular focus on Eastern European countries. In this position, you will stand at the forefront of public and regulatory policy advocacy supporting Motorola’s business, taking a leadership role on compliance and ethics in your respective region as it relates to government affairs’ issues.
This role can be based anywhere across Europe and Africa.
The Government Affairs team
The Government Affairs organization (GA) manages Motorola Solutions’ outreach and advocacy on public policy and regulations seeking to leverage government relations to realize new business opportunities. GA builds and maintains relationships with government representatives globally, working to develop and preserve regulatory and political environments that are favorable to the company’s profitable growth.
GA is responsible for advocating Motorola Solutions’ public policy positions with governments in the United States and governments abroad. In addition, the organization houses the company’s country management organization.
As a Government Affairs Director you will be responsible for:
- Serving as the primary government affairs contact for the business and the recognized expert on government affairs issues, trends and opportunities in the Europe and Africa region.
- Closely collaborating with the sales team to support business development by arranging discussions with senior level government officials and gleaning business intelligence.
- Representing the company within governments, including with regulators, trade associations and academic institutions to position the company as a trusted partner in the government space.
- Driving and executing regional government affairs actions and goals aligned with the business strategy including identifying funding streams to support business development projects and advocating for favorable spectrum and regulatory policies.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with key government officials in Europe and Africa and with the United States government officials in that region and key industry associations to advance business development objectives and establish policies to promote profitable growth and minimize adverse actions.
- Gathering, evaluating, informing and management of public policy issues of concern to the business and advocate on such issues.
- Analyzing and developing public policy positions in consultation with internal management stakeholders.
- Preparing technical, spectrum, and economic reports and analysis. Formulating and coordinating written comments on behalf of the company that are filed with relevant regulatory bodies in the region.
- Tracking, understanding, and reporting as needed macro trends and developments in the political, economic, and commercial environment.
- Promoting compliance and ethics within the region.
- Working closely with functional leads to resolve country operational issues and raise them as necessary.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with key government officials, both in-country and throughout the region (i.e. host governments, U.S. Embassies and Consulates), and key industry associations to advance business development objectives and establish policies to promote profitable growth and minimize adverse actions.
- Working closely with business management in the country/region to identify business development opportunities and drive advocacy.
- Developing effective communication strategies and tools to further understanding internally and externally of our work and engagement strategies.
- May develop policy, messaging and strategy to advance with key international stakeholders that inspires partnership, trust and confidence.
Your experience and skills
To be successful as a Government Affairs Director you should be/have:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in helping advance public policy issues and business development initiatives and development of strategic plans to support such efforts.
- Accomplished leader known to industry and key government officials.
- Expertise and experience in government relations with Eastern European countries required.
- Knowledge of wireless spectrum, regulatory and policy issues.
- Uncompromising ethics, integrity and sound judgment essential.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to influence, negotiate and persuade.
- English fluency required; proficiency in other languages relevant to the country/region preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the government structure and political processes in the country/region.
- Ability to align work with broader business strategies and goals.
- Strong team player with demonstrated ability to build and foster effective relationships and collaborate to promote company interests.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and team skills with the ability to collaborate with all levels across the company.
- Understand the company strategy and determine how best to proactively support the strategy.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to drive priorities.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with senior government officials, industry leaders, senior management, academia, peers and the public to promote the company.
- University degree in Engineering, Law or relevant subjects.
- Government affairs experience working for a technology company or government affairs experience in the region with demonstrated knowledge of the communications industry.
- Experience in public safety or sales are a plus.