AFME seeks Advocacy Manager
The Association for Financial Markets in Europe (AFME) represents a broad array of European and global participants in the wholesale financial markets. Its members comprise pan-EU and global banks as well as key regional banks, brokers, law firms, investors and other financial market participants. We advocate stable, competitive, sustainable European financial markets that support economic growth and benefit society.
AFME is the European member of the Global Financial Markets Association (GFMA), a global alliance with the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) in the US, and the Asia Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (ASIFMA) in Asia.
On behalf of our pan-European and global membership, AFME aims to provide industry insight and expertise to support the financial reform process and help ensure a clear understanding of how financial markets can meet the needs of the European economy in an increasingly competitive, globalised world. As part of the international alliance, the Global Financial Markets Association (GFMA), we seek to influence key international as well as European debates.
We are seeking to fill a key vacancy in our Advocacy and Public Affairs Division. Based in Brussels and active across the EU, this Manager position plays a key role working with Member firms and AFME’s subject matter experts to help articulate and convey our messages to participants in the European policy-making process. The role is at the heart of AFME’s activities, analysing and influencing current and future European legislative, regulatory and public policy issues.
Key activities/Decision areas
- To play a key role in supporting AFME’s engagement in policy and legislative initiatives relating to financial services and markets in the European Union. Key areas of coverage in this role will be prudential regulation and resolution. Additional areas could include supervision and taxation;
- To contribute strongly to AFME’s effective participation in the dialogue on public policy and regulatory development in the financial services area to deliver member-agreed positions developed by AFME product divisions.
Policy and Position Development
- To ensure AFME is abreast of relevant policy and legislative initiatives in the European Union and, where appropriate, contributing to the development and execution of public policy objectives and advocacy plans;
- To analyse complex and diverse public policy issues providing briefing input for internal and external use on strategic implications arising from regulatory and public policy changes;
- Contributing to the effective creation of audience appropriate narratives to ensure the most effective deployment of positions developed by AFME’s policy teams.
Relationship Development and Management
- To support the ongoing process of building and maintaining a network of appropriate contacts, including relationships within the European Commission, the European Parliament and in Member States;
- To develop and maintain high quality, good and productive relationships with relevant people in Member firms and colleagues across the AFME organisation as well as, where appropriate, with GFMA colleagues and other trade associations.
- A good understanding of the European financial services regulatory framework, preferably in the prudential and/or resolution field;
- Strong communication and advocacy/marketing skills with a good understanding of relevant legislative processes;
- Demonstrated experience of building and maintaining relationships with a wide network of opinion formers;
- Strong English writing skills and intellectual abilities;
- Strong work ethic and flexibility and ability to work to tight deadlines;
- Team player, with an ability to network internally at AFME but also with members of various AFME committees and working groups;
- International thinker and operator with proven track record of international engagement.
Knowledge skills and experience
- Fluent oral and written English plus at least one other European language;
- Material experience of the European legislative and regulatory process; of working within the European institutions and/or of working for a financial firm or trade association.
- A good understanding of the broader challenges faced by the financial industry and of the impact of regulation on the same;
- Knowledge of the roles and standard setting operations of international regulatory bodies, in particular the FSB and BCBS.
A full job description can be found here.
If you would like to apply for this position, please submit your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com.