Aidsfonds – Soa Aids Nederland seeks EU Policy Officer
EU Policy Officer
Work towards a world without AIDS and help fight sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Working with Aidsfonds – Soa Aids Nederland allows you to use and develop your skills in an environment with social relevance. Over 150 highly motivated people work at our offices in Amsterdam and overseas.
To join our Policy and Grants Department (EU Office Brussels) we are looking for a EU Policy Officer (37.5 hours weekly).
The Aidsfonds’ Policy and Grants Department has offices in Brussels, Washington D.C., Geneva and soon Addis Ababa, working to build synergies between policy and advocacy activities towards the European Union, the African Union, key UN agencies and the U.S. Government/PEPFAR with strong links to the policy work done in the Netherlands as well as in the Global South. This global policy team works jointly with other teams at Aidsfonds and country partners to ensure that HIV/AIDS is effectively addressed and adequately financed by key global multilateral and bilateral donors as well as partner countries.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Advocacy towards relevant policy processes and institutions, events organising and research for policy purposes, in line with the Aidsfonds global policy team annual work plan;
- Build appropriate relationships and partnerships with other organisations and networks to engage in joint policy and advocacy actions, including by organising regular meetings with stakeholders, supporting specific projects and information gathering and sharing;
- Provide strategic guidance on key thematic policy areas to inform the organisation’s overall direction and ensure high quality communications to keep colleagues informed about relevant developments in thematic areas of responsibility;
- Represent Aidsfonds towards external stakeholders and in international fora, as requested.
Depending on qualifications and experience, your salary will be between € 3.001 and € 4.632 gross per month (for 37.5 hours) plus other statutory benefits under Belgian legislation (meal vouchers, train/metro card). You will be offered a fixed term one-year contract, after which the contract can be extended in combination with good performance and provided sufficient financial means.
Requirements and competences
- Relevant graduate qualification, e.g. Development Studies, International Relations, European studies;
- Sound understanding of the functioning European Union and its Institutions, in particular its external action;
- Demonstrable experience of working in a policy role for an EU Institution, UN agency or NGO;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrating high levels of personal integrity and professional credibility;
- Ability to build strong and credible relationships with stakeholders;
- Ability to manage pressure and to work to deadlines autonomously whilst prioritising appropriately;
- Demonstrable experience of organising events;
- Excellent English writing and communication skills, fluency in Dutch a plus.
Working at Aidsfonds – Soa Aids Nederland means working with other professionals to invest the best in yourself for a good goal. We are an organization with an open, welcoming and collaborative atmosphere.
Aidsfonds – Soa Aids Nederland aims at a diverse workforce with a balanced representation of men and women, ages, sexual orientations and ethnic backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from qualified candidates who are living with HIV and/or from key affected communities.
Applications including a motivation letter and extensive CV in English, should be submitted before 1st of July 2018. Interviews will be held in the first half of July in Brussels.