Alternative Investment Management Association seeks Adviser, Government and Regulatory Affairs
Adviser, Government and Regulatory Affairs
Role, title and salary dependent on experience
AIMA is a trade association representing the global alternative investment management industry. Headquartered in London, AIMA services approximately 1,900 corporate members in over 50 countries. AIMA is the leading industry advocate, maintaining close dialogue with national and supranational policy making institutions, governments and regulatory agencies, providing responses to important regulatory and tax consultations and developing sound practices and industry guidance for our members. It has also established the Alternative Credit Council (ACC), which is an association within AIMA devoted to representing the private credit industry, with a view to securing sustainable development of the sector. It is the sole global trade association representing the interests of the private credit and non-bank finance participants in asset management.
The Bundesverband Alternative Investments e.V. (BAI) is the advocacy association for the alternative investments industry in Germany. The BAI links German institutional investors and recognised providers of alternative investment products worldwide. Its goal is to enhance the environment for German professional investors when diversifying their financial assets into alternative investments, especially as many of those investors are responsible for safeguarding long-term retirement pensions. Another objective of the association is to increase public awareness and understanding of alternative asset classes and strategies. The BAI maintains an active dialogue with political institutions as well as supervisory bodies. Furthermore, the BAI cooperates with various national and international organizations and industry associations by advocating for legal reforms to design an attractive and competitive regulatory environment for the alternative investments industry in Germany. At present, BAI counts 190 members from all areas of the professional alternative investments industry.
We are currently strengthening our presence in Brussels and will be opening an office at the beginning of 2018 and are seeking an experienced policy and regulatory professional adviser for our Government and Regulatory Affairs Departments to support AIMA and BAI. The advisory role is likely to be split on a 60/40 basis between AIMA and BAI.
The role will focus primarily on EU legislative work affecting alternative investment managers, and the market environment they operate in including, but not limited to, AIFMD and UCITS developments, the European capital market union package, market structure and infrastructure regulations and private credit regulations such as loan funds or policy decisions related to non-bank lending. On the other hand investor regulation such as Solvency II is in the scope of our work due to the increasing impact on portfolio allocation including alternative investments.
The person carrying out the role will have to help convey AIMA’s position on legislative work being conducted in Brussels as well as contribute to further develop and consolidate AIMA’s presence and network in Brussels. The person will also be expected to work very closely with the BAI executive and membership, briefing them on regulatory developments as well assisting with the development of their positions, where possible, in a close cooperation or joint effort with AIMA.
The role includes responsibility for:
- Monitoring regulatory developments;
- Preparing updates for AIMA and BAI members;
- Running working groups of AIMA and BAI members to develop a position on proposals from regulators;
- Drafting responses to regulatory consultations;
- Developing AIMA’s network in Brussels among EU institutions, other trade associations and market participants;
- Responding promptly to members’ queries and requests on EU regulations issues;
- Designing and participating in AIMA and BAI events.
Required skills and experience include:
- Adequate experience to operate with a high level of autonomy and initiative;
- The need to demonstrate familiarity with, and knowledge of, many different regulatory regimes;
- Ability to track EU legislative developments efficiently and to set out AIMA’s positioning on relevant topics clearly and accurately publicly and in private meetings;
- Proven experience gained in government or regulatory agencies, or other appropriate experience in the asset management industry or in a law firm (minimum 5 years);
- Knowledge of financial services regulation and/or the hedge fund industry. We are interested in hearing from candidates with expertise in one or more of the following: AIFMD, UCITS, MiFID, EMIR, SSR, market abuse, Basel III or Solvency II;
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English;
- Excellent command of the German language (writing and editing);
- Good organisational and project management skills;
- Good research skills;
- The ability to communicate effectively with both regulatory representatives and members;
- The ability to absorb and organise substantial amounts of both general and detailed information and to disseminate and ‘distil’ it in a manner readily accessible to AIMA members and in good English;
- Attention to detail, diligence, accuracy and thoroughness in the written and spoken word;
- The ability to adapt to and fit in with AIMA and BAI culture;
- A ‘can do’ attitude – including a willingness to tackle a broad range of work and to work enthusiastically and happily within a small team in a small office;
- The ability to work under pressure and to represent the associations professionally.
This is an excellent opportunity for you to take the next step in your career and join this growing international trade body with an excellent reputation globally. We are committed to helping you to achieve your professional goals.
The candidate must be eligible to work in Belgium.
Please send your CV together with salary expectations to Marie-Adelaide de Nicolay, Consultant GRA, Brussels at email@example.com.
Employers want to know how you found their job advert so please state that you found this position advertised on politjobs.eu.