Amazon Web Services seeks Manager Public Policy Programs & Operations
Manager Public Policy Programs & Operations AWS
Would you like to be part of a public policy team focused on increasing awareness and adoption of Amazon Web Services (AWS*) and cloud computing across EMEA? Do you want to help build a world-class public policy function across EMEA? Do you want to play an instrumental role in shaping our communications to government and other key stakeholders? Are you able to help support the administrative needs of the team? AWS seeks a creative, high-judgement, detail-oriented, and experienced professional to build and run its programs and operations in EMEA. The right candidate will possess excellent communications skills, a proven track record of establishing robust government relations and communications programs, and a vision for identifying gaps in processes, and establishing new ways of getting things done.
This role will have four major functions
- Support Public Policy Initiatives. Develop position papers and advocacy documents to support advocacy goals in EMEA, drawing from both existing resources and by conducting original research; help align policy position across key functions (business, security, legal, PR); play a role in developing AWS’ position on emerging issues; help ensure consistency in position across the AWS business on core policy issues.
- Help Develop the Public Policy Function. Create systems and processes to support the development of a world-class public policy function, including creating information-sharing systems, developing formalized reporting systems to key stakeholders throughout the business, conducting due diligence on industry associations, identify creative opportunities to create team spirit despite geographic disbursement of team.
- Manage Operations. Provide operations support for the EMEA public policy team, including managing database of government contacts, managing all contracts and billing for the EMEA team, supporting the planning and logistics process of internal and external events, and executive visits as required.
- Support Strategic Programs. Support public policy leads on key strategic long-term, high-impact strategic programs that are designed as our “big bets” to influence policy outcomes in EMEA.
This role is based in Brussels and reports to the head of public policy for EU Affairs. Your key internal stakeholders will be the in-country AWS public policy leads across EMEA, and counterparts across the globe within the AWS Global Public Policy team. Some travel may be required.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology, enjoy working hard and being continually challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations. The right candidate possesses extensive experience of running operational activities for large teams and media relations and or finance management experience is advantageous.
Your Professional Challenges
- Managing and enhancing government relations programs across EMEA
- Supporting the in-country Public Policy leads for success across EMEA
- Working with and managing multiple Public Policy agencies/vendors in countries across EMEA
- Proactively identifying areas where the team can be more efficient and productive by streamlining processes, reducing duplication of activities, and removing obstacles
- Minimum of five years of experience in a relevant field of activity, preferably in a Public Policy or Public Relations environment/consultancy
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills with experience working on large projects involving planning, logistics, and budgeting
- Team player who is willing to roll up their sleeves to get the job done
- Creativity and bias for action with the willingness to take ownership of projects and lead them through to conclusion
- Exceptional research skills, including ability to identify sources of information and data points
- Strong analytical skills, including ability to dive deep and understand how legislative and regulatory proposals may impact AWS business
- Exceptional writing skills, including ability to synthesize policy documents and complex issues for internal and external customers and ability to convince through writing
- Exceptional time-management skills, including ability to prioritize and manage competing demands on your time
- Native English fluency level is required
- A passion for technology and an interest in growing a successful career in a Public Policy environment
- A strategic way of thinking and strong hands-on mentality
- Special affinity for numbers, analyses, and reporting
- A great deal of personal initiative, creativity, decisiveness, and team spirit
- Experience developing position papers and formal submissions for government agencies
- Previous role in a public policy or related team so as to bring best practices in team management and coordination to our function
- Fluency in a European language is a plus
- Advanced degree is preferred