Baxter seeks Senior Manager Government Policy & Advocacy – EU
Senior Manager Government Policy & Advocacy – EU
Baxter provides a broad portfolio of essential renal and hospital products, including home, acute and in-centre dialysis; sterile IV solutions; infusion systems and devices; parenteral nutrition; surgery products and anesthetics; and pharmacy automation, software and services. The company’s global footprint and the critical nature of its products and services play a key role in expanding access to healthcare in emerging and developed countries. Baxter’s employees worldwide are building upon the company’s rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care.
A Career That Matters
Baxter’s employees are united in a mission to save and sustain lives. We are passionate about applying scientific innovation to meet the needs of the millions of people worldwide who depend on our medically necessary therapies and technologies. We focus on increasing access to healthcare, innovating in crucial areas of unmet need, and pursuing creative collaborations that bring our mission to life for patients every day.
As part of this team, the Sr Manager Government Policy & Advocacy, EU would be responsible for supporting the EMEA Senior Director Government Policy, Advocacy & Reimbursement in delivering a government affairs strategy and programs in support of Baxter’s key growth projects and to foster a favourable EU policy environment for Baxter’s products and business.
- Monitors EU policy developments, liaises with intelligence gathering infrastructure and communicates appropriately internally
- Synthesises information, provides research and drafting support for briefing notes to support EMEA Government Policy lead
- Supports building a corporate political network of EU Government and stakeholder contacts in Brussels and with other relevant international organization to enable sharing Baxter positions/concerns on key policy issues and other value propositions related to our company, services or products.
- Develops and delivers political contact programs to advance/defend the company’s interest on important legislative issues
- Develops partnerships with relevant patient and professional advocacy groups and shares Baxter positions
- Supports internal understanding of advocacy and the strategic value of joining forces with patients’ and clinician representatives’ organizations to achieving market access/business goals
Ensures cooperation with global, regional, and/or country Government Policy, Advocacy & Reimbursement /market access members so advocacy campaigns are built on sound understanding of respective healthcare systems.
- Involves as appropriate communications to ensure outreach campaigns to patient & professional groups and support for their activities is aligned with Baxter communication to healthcare stakeholders
- Represents Baxter in relevant external interest groups and trade associations and builds alliances/ drives initiatives on topics of key importance to Baxter
- Develops implementation plans within the strategy set by the regional EMEA Government Policy, Advocacy & Reimbursement lead and the business
- Be a point of contact for internal stakeholders on EU policy and legislation
Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree required
- 7 + years of experience in EU policy and legislative process, EU institutional/political experience or Advocacy/Public Affairs/Government Policy in a health care company or public affairs role
- Deep understanding of the healthcare industry, with particular emphasis on medical devices and pharmaceuticals
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and organizational skills with a proven ability to effectively operate across businesses and functions in a multi-cultural environment through all communication channels, including digital
- Proven ability to align and integrate message platforms across a large, global organization and to position messages proactively and strategically
- Track record in planning, running projects and delivering on objectives
- Experience with external stakeholder engagement and analyzing stakeholder feedback
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with advocacy group and experience in designing and implementing advocacy campaigns with patients supporting product launch and lifecycle mgmt.
- Excellent creative and presentation skills, including visual communication for business purposes and comfortable with online research tools
- Strong and versatile writing skills with proven experience in developing clear, concise and persuasive materials under time pressure
- Ability to understand and distill complex, often technical/ legislative/scientific information into understandable concepts and language for a variety of audiences.
- Excellent Business Standard English written and spoken; knowledge of second language – French desirable
- Strong facilitation and negotiation skills – must be able to effectively communicate with senior-level managers and executives (internally and within patients’ and clinicians’ representative organizations) in order to bring together stakeholders with conflicting points of view.
- Ability to manage a matrixed environment and to exert influence without hard-line authority
- Strong ability to conceptualize combined with willingness to be very hands-on in implementation
- Highly motivated self-starter who can quickly adapt and respond to a constantly changing healthcare ecosystem and a challenging political environment.
- Must be proactive, collaborative and sensitive to organizational complexity
- Comfortable dealing with change, ambiguity and creativity required