Bellona seeks Policy Manager: Low-Carbon Industries
Policy Manager: Low-Carbon Industries
Did you know electricity production is responsible for ca. 1/3 of EU greenhouse gas emissions? Are you passionate about reducing the remaining two thirds of greenhouse gas emissions to zero? Can you help in bringing about climate mitigation action above and beyond the Energiewende?
Preventing disastrous, runaway climate change requires action throughout European society – a step change in decarbonisation is required. European energy intensive industries such as cement, steel and chemicals – major polluters, but simultaneously key building blocks for a greener future – need an effective low carbon pathway.
Are you ready to help Bellona, a solution-oriented environmental NGO, tackle greenhouse gas emissions from energy-intensive industries – sectors with high employment, large contributions to European GDP and currently huge climate impacts?
Are you familiar with policy making on the EU level and/or in industry-heavy EU member states? Can you aid key industrial regions, national governments and the EU work together to build workable pathways for the decarbonisation of industries? Develop policies and encourage actions that enable large industrial regions become spearheads of climate innovation? Which technologies, investments and outreach are required now, so that Europe can retain and strengthen the industrial activity needed to renovate its cities and infrastructure, and to massively expand renewable energy supply for a deeply decarbonising world? Are you motivated to achieve a just transition for workers, their families, communities and the climate? Then we strongly encourage you to apply for this position.
- Provide support in defining, operating and delivering solution-oriented advocacy strategies to aid the deep decarbonisation of major EU industries.
- Monitor, follow-up and act on EU legislative developments of relevance to Bellona;
- Representing Bellona at governmental and industrial level meetings;
- Initial key focus areas are the Nordic countries, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium
- A Master’s degree, preferably in Engineering, Economics, European studies, Law;
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience;
- Proven experience influencing EU policy making and politics and/or regional/national in key industrialised regions (e.g North Rhine-Westphalia);
- Understanding of climate and industry technologies, policy and economics;
- Oral and written fluency in English and German;
- Strong research and analytical skills, and ability to quickly grasp ideas and digest complex information, comfortable with technological and scientific disciplines;
- Positive attitude, flexible, enthusiastic, energetic, motivated, team-player;
- Legal right to reside and live in Belgium for a minimum of one year;
- Experience in working with EU energy-intensive industry is an asset
- Experience with industrial labour unions is an asset
- Experience with EU institutions (notably the European Parliament) is an asset
If you wish to apply please send your CV (maximum two pages) and cover letter (maximum one page) to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating ‘Bellona Application Low Carbon Industries Policy Manager’ in the subject line, by Thursday, 21 September 2017 latest.