Planetary Biology Program Manager (m/f/d)
Planetary Biology Program Manager (m/f/d)
EMBL – European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Language: English (UK)
Organisation data: Structural & Computational Biology
Job number: HD01668
Contract Type: Staff Member
Job Function: Technical Officer (gr. 4-6)
Closing Date: 8 March 2020
About the team/job
EMBL seeks a program manager for its growing research towards a global understanding of molecular ecosystems. The work involves practical and strategic aspects around planetary biology.
This position is ideally suited for an applicant who likes to make a distinct contribution to planning and execution of cutting-edge planetary biology research toward fighting global threats such as climate change, antibiotic resistance or man-made pollution by written, visual and verbal communication and coordination of activities across research groups and institutions.
- support the development of planetary biology at EMBL with planning, reporting, outreach and communication activities;
- develop, manage and orchestrate various ongoing planetary projects at EMBL as well as their interconnectivity;
- support EMBL scientists in building and monitoring international collaborations of EMBL in this area, for example with European marine stations or institutions that host macrocosms;
- proactively coordinate with various internal and external stakeholders;
- actively initiate and coordinate grant (writing and reporting) activities in this area;
- connect to and tightly interact with the EMBL strategy team to coordinate the development of the area at EMBL;
- support the organization of planned field work;
- develop and maintain shared project documentation and presentation;
- occasionally travel (mostly within Europe) to collaborators and organizational or stake holder meetings;
- link to legal, environmental (cf. Nagoya protocol), data protection activities as well as ethical issues if required in the individual projects.
- MSc in ecology, molecular biology or related fields. Further research experience (e.g. PhD and/or field work) is considered a plus;
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as proficiency in English (both written and verbal);
- effective organizational, multi-tasking and time-management skills with prior experience in organizing events and/or in managing larger collaborative research projects (or similar);
- some experience in grant/project writing and reporting (including budgeting aspects);
- strong working knowledge of MS Office;
- ability to think strategically while steering day-to-day activities towards the common goal of world-class planetary biology research and its applications.
You might also have
- proficiency in German is beneficial;
- formal qualifications and/or work experience in scientific project management;
- basic understanding of legal frameworks;
- experience with content management systems and/or basic web development skills;
- visual communication skills.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. Remuneration comprises a competitive tax free salary and benefits from the German Social Security Scheme.
What else you need to know
An initial contract of 3 years‘ duration will be offered to the successful candidate. This can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
The position is suitable for applicants who are looking for a full or part-time position with diverse responsibilities in a young dynamic team immersed in EMBL’s collaborative, interdisciplinary, and culturally diverse research environment.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!