British Embassy Brussels seeks Political Attaché (Commemorations & Events)
Political Attaché (Commemorations & Events)
A temporary position is available for a full-time Political Attaché to work in the British Embassy Brussels for a period from January to end July 2015, supporting the Political and Public Diplomacy team on events related to the Centenary of the First World War and the Bicentenary of the battle of Waterloo in particular.
This job offers a great opportunity to be involved with one of the key bilateral issues between the UK and Belgium of 2015 – commemoration of the centenary of the First World War. Currently this Embassy participates in over 90 events a year and we face increasing pressure for Ministerial attendance too over the centenary period. We are looking for a professional and motivated individual to play an important role in delivering the UK Government’s objectives on this, including with a major royal visit in June 2015. You will need to be flexible and resilient, as the requirements of the job will involve being able to learn quickly as we tackle each milestone event.
The successful applicant will be a key member of the busy 8-strong Political and Public Diplomacy Team at the Embassy. The principal aim will be delivery of the royal visit and other upcoming ministerial visits. You will work for UK interests and represent the Embassy/UK in meetings with a range of Belgian contacts at both regional and federal level as well as colleagues in the key UK ministries and Royal Palace. In addition, the successful applicant will help the Embassy Team to prepare the groundwork for the annual Belgo-British Conference in autumn 2015. The Belgo-British Conference is a high level annual gathering of policy-makers, business, academics, civil society and journalists, and is the only Ministerial level UK-Belgium bilateral forum.
Indicative Main Role:
- A challenging and varied role requiring a significant degree of independent working. The main responsibilities are:
- Lead in co-ordinating the Embassy/UK events related to the Centenary of the First World War, and Bicentenary of the Battle of Waterloo, representing the Embassy/UK government in related meetings to ensure a successful UK contribution and participation in events;
- Embassy representative on co-ordination group preparing Royal visits to Belgium in 2015;
- Lead on Embassy co-ordination of speakers and participants for the Belgo-British Conference in autumn 2015;
- As required, support other cross-team working, in particularly in relation to ministerial visits.
Skills & Competencies Required:
- Good interpersonal and influencing skills to be able to develop and maintain a network of key contacts (both Belgian and UK);
- Ability to work and deliver results under pressure;
- Ability to grasp issues quickly and communicate them effectively, including to senior interlocutors.
- Strong organisational skills;
- The job holder will be required to work extended hours during peak periods, particularly in the run-up to the Royal visit in June 2015 and to travel to London on occasion as well as around Belgium (we operate a system of TOIL);
- Excellent English-both oral and the ability to draft clear communications;
Operational French (at least listening, spoken and reading);
- Good IT skills, preferably experience of Outlook, Word and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated ability in the following competences:
- Delivering at Pace;
- Leading and Communicating;
- Managing a Quality Service;
- Collaborating and Partnering.
- Dutch (reading and listening);
- Knowledge of Belgian political system.
- This role would provide valuable experience for those seeking longer-term employment in, for example, the European Commission or other Foreign Ministries. The Embassy is a friendly and inclusive Mission, committed to professional development. There is a strong emphasis on learning and development to ensure our staff are equipped to achieve their objectives.
This position will be subject to satisfactory completion of UK security checks, and will be filled on a fixed term contract.
Taxable Monthly Salary: €2,736.57
(The UK missions in Belgium Salaries are not subject to annual indexation.)
Applications with a full CV and cover letter in English outlining how you meet the essential and desirable skills and competencies should be sent to the Recruitment Officer, Corporate Services Benelux, British Embassy, Avenue d’Auderghem 10 B-1040 Brussels or email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 05 December 2014. If applying by email, you should include your full name in the message title and your email and attachments must not exceed 300kB in size. Please also indicate in your application where you saw this advertisement.
Interviews will be held as soon as possible after the closing date. Only applicants called for interview will be contacted. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Belgium at the point of application.
Please note that, due to the large volume of applications that we receive, only those applicants called for interview will be contacted.
“The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.”
“Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.”