CANSO seeks Manager Europe Policy and Advocacy
Vacancy: Manager Europe Policy and Advocacy in Brussels
CANSO – the Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation – is the global trade association for the companies that provide air traffic control services across the world. CANSO Members support almost 90% of world air traffic. Members share information and develop new policies, with the ultimate aim of improving air navigation services (ANS) on the ground and in the air. CANSO represents its Members’ views to a wide range of aviation stakeholders, including the International Civil Aviation Organization, where it has official Observer status. CANSO has an extensive network of Associate Members drawn from across the aviation industry. CANSO Europe represents the interests of 34 air navigation service providers that are members of CANSO Europe.
This is an exciting, full-time role (38 hours per week) based at the CANSO Europe Region Office in Brussels. There are four staff based in the office and a further 20 staff based in other CANSO offices around the world.
Working closely with CANSO Members and colleagues across departments, the Manager Europe Policy, Advocacy and Communications will work in a fast-moving, friendly and international atmosphere. CANSO is an organisation which encourages personal initiative and thrives on its small team taking responsibility and growing both personally and professionally.
Purpose of Job
The CANSO Europe Region leads, among other things, CANSO’s policy and lobbying input into the European Union bodies (Commission, Parliament, Council), EUROCONTROL, European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), SESAR Joint Undertaking and the SESAR Deployment Manager, as well as to the European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC) and the European and North Atlantic (EUR/NAT) Office of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). CANSO Europe coordinates air navigation service provider (ANSP) best practice in the region. Much of the focus is on shaping and influencing the Single European Sky initiative. CANSO is a member of the following European organisations: European Organisation for Civil Aviation Equipment (EUROCAE) and European ATM Standards Coordination Group (EASCG).
The Manager Europe Policy and Advocacy:
- Is responsible for implementing the CANSO Europe policy, advocacy and communicationsstrategy in line with the CANSO goals and objectives.
- Has a deep understanding of the EU policy-making process and established relationships with EU policymakers and institutions
- Together with CANSO Europe Members, develops a government affairs and policy strategy that prioritises the issues and opportunities which impact CANSO Europe Members at EU level
- Initiates, coordinates and performs tailored lobbying activities and communications campaigns towards the European institutions and other relevant bodies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the CANSO position on defined topics and desired policy measures, through direct contact with CANSO Members and relevant task forces:
- To monitor the key policy, regulatory and political developments which affect CANSO Europe Members, particularly in relation to the Single European Sky
- To develop and manage CANSO advocacy strategies towards its stakeholders
- To coordinate the preparation, work and follow-up of meetings in the CANSO task forces with the aim of developing CANSO positions and actively contributing to achieving the CANSO objectives
- To ensure consistency of those positions with CANSO global policies and strategies
- To coordinate and advocate joint positions in cooperation with other stakeholders (airspace users, airports, European trade unions, etc.) to maximise the impact of CANSO positions
- Develop high-impact advocacy and engagement programmes that help shape and address policy areas which align with CANSO Europe priorities:
- To ensure effective communication of these CANSO positions to Members, political decision-makers and other aviation trade associations to ensure that they are fully understood by them
- Establish the brand and reputation of CANSO Europe across the EU policy community through strategic thought-leadership and other communications initiatives:
- Develop and implement a regional communications strategy
- Draft editorial contributions for CANSO and third-party media
- Serve as a media point of contact on ATM matters in Europe
- Organise CANSO events
- Keep CANSO Europe website and Member extranet up-to-date
- Support the Director Europe Affairs and Manager Europe ATM Coordination and Safety by actively participating in and contributing to task forces work, conferences and meetings, as appropriate
- University degree in political science, public policy or communications, with additional education / experience in air traffic management or air transport
- Knowledge of the structures and working methods of the EU institutions, specifically of the European Parliament, European Commission and Council. Practical experience in working with those institutions is an advantage
- Proven ability to develop high-impact, multi-level external advocacy and communications programmes
- Excellent standard of written and verbal communication in English; additional languages are a plus.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- International working experience is a distinct advantage
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (with Word, PowerPoint and Excel essential); proficiency with document management systems and CRM an advantage
- Must be allowed to work in Belgium.
- Able to communicate complex topics in simple and clear language
- Able to speak in public with ease
- Able to deal with the diversity of views often expressed by CANSO Members and reach consensus in a multi-cultural environment
- Display integrity and professional manner, confidentiality and impartiality in all dealings with Members
- Self-motivated team player, able to work under pressure and undertake multiple projects on time and within budget
- Demonstrate leadership, initiative, maturity of judgement and decision-making
- Strong professional presence and ability to influence across functions and the region
- Able to work under pressure
- Flexibility to support the team in a variety of tasks
Salary will be based on experience and in line with the market rate.
For applications, please submit a short motivation letter and your curriculum vitae in English.
Application deadline: 15 April 2019
Ms. Tanja Grobotek, CANSO Director Europe Affairs
Phone: +32 (0)2 255 1090