Caritas Europa seeks Policy and Advocacy Officer
Policy and Advocacy Officer
Caritas Europa is the network of 49 Caritas organisations in 46 European countries. It is one of the seven regions of Caritas Internationalis, a confederation of more than 160 Catholic relief, development and social service organisations. Our vision is of a civilisation of love and justice where every human person can flourish and live in peace and dignity as part of one human family. Caritas Europa has a heartfelt commitment to fight poverty and social exclusion; and to promote true integral human development, social justice and sustainable social systems in Europe and throughout the world. Caritas Europa advocates for, and with people in need in order to transform society into a more just and inclusive civilisation. Caritas Europa promotes analysis, innovation and mutual learning.
With a view to further strengthen the network, the Caritas Europa Secretariat, based in Brussels is seeking to recruit a (m/f): Policy and Advocacy Officer (Development and International Cooperation), who will contribute to the overarching values, priorities and goals of Caritas in Europe and who will :
- Monitor EU policy developments concerning SDGs, international development and external aid;
- Carry out research, analyse and develop policy positioning;
- Advocate Caritas Europa’s key policy positions;
- Lobby relevant policy – makers in EU Institutions and in the Council of Europe;
- Network and contribute in relevant NGO platforms and specific working groups;
- Participate in external and internal activities, including public campaigning;
- Contribute to advocacy capacity building activities for Member Organisations of Caritas Europa;
- Support the work of Caritas Europa’s working structures (Action Group, Reference Network, possible task forces, and the MIND project) related to the SDGs and relations with Caritas Africa and Caritas Mona;
- Foster the engagement of the working structures and member organisations to contribute to Caritas Europa’s policy shaping processes;
- Represent the organisation within the mandate given by the Caritas Europa’s Policy and Advocacy Director;
- Contribute to the internal coherence of the Advocacy Unit and the CE team;
- Complete any other task assigned by the Policy and Advocacy Director or Secretary General.
The Policy and Advocacy Officer, part of the Advocacy Unit, reports to the CE Policy and Advocacy Director.
- University degree (BA or MA) in International Development related field;
- At least 4 years of relevant working experience;
- Knowledge of EU institutions and their functioning;
- Knowledge and understanding of EU development policies;
- Ability to analyse policy developments and draft policy positions/recommendations, with proven experience in drafting briefing notes, position papers, advocacy papers;
- Knowledge of advocacy methodology, techniques and tools;
- Networking skills: ability to link to policy makers and other stakeholders and strengthen collaboration of Caritas members and regions;
- Communication skills: fluency in English (both written and spoken), and preferably other language competencies as well;
- Writing skills: briefing notes, position papers, advocacy papers;
- Familiarity with Catholic Social Teaching (CST);
- Ability to work and create a supportive environment in an international team, in need of intercultural competence;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Computer skills and experience in working with Microsoft Office software.
Flexible, ideally as soon as possible, likely beginning of May 2018.
Submit the following documents: Motivation letter (max 1 page) and a CV to:
Secretary General, Jorge Nuño Mayer: firstname.lastname@example.org and Policy and Advocacy Director, Shannon Pfohman: email@example.com, mentioning in the subject “Application for Development and International Cooperation Policy Officer”.
Deadline: April 8th 2018 23:59 Brussels time CET.