CDP seeks Public Affairs Officer
Public Affairs Officer
Earliest starting date: 01/05/2018
CDP, one of the world’s leading climate change charities, is seeking a highly motivated individual to assist the public affairs and policy work of CDP Europe.
CDP is an international non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with institutional investors with assets of US$87 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Over 6.300 worldwide companies with some 55% of global market capitalization – including more than 1.600 in Europe – disclosed environmental data through CDP in 2017. This is in addition to the over 500 cities and 100 states and regions globally who disclosed – including 118 cities and 49 states and regions in Europe, making CDP’s platform one of the richest sources of information globally on how companies and governments are driving environmental change. Please visit www.cdp.net or follow us @CDP to find out more.
The role includes
- Coordinating CDP’s policy and operational engagement with EU institutions and other EU level stakeholders;
- Managing and leveraging relationships with current CDP partners, including policymakers, peer NGOs and EU representations of CDP stakeholders;
- Assisting the Director Policy & Reporting Europe with the creation and publication of internal and external policy briefings, reports, newsletters and tailored analyses;
- Preparing high-quality briefing materials on the basis of CDP data and current CDP policy priorities;
- Organization of events, workshops and webinars including the engagement of high level speakers;
- Providing information and assistance to CDP colleagues around the world on EU policies and CDP policy and public affairs engagement;
- Driving CDP participation and actively participating in EU meetings and working groups related to all CDP topics and programmes, proactively identifying opportunities such as calls for consultations and speaking opportunities for CDP staff and draft responses and talking points;
- Providing research and analysis for projects in collaboration with other CDP teams to improve disclosure of corporations and action on disclosure by investors.
The successful candidate will have
- Batchelor’s degree in a relevant subject, including experience of data analysis, research and communications’;
- 1+ year work experience in a similar role;
- A “hands-on” and problem-solving approach to work;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and work independently;
- Strong organisational and planning skills;
- Effective communication skills, written and verbal;
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills and ability to work in a multi-national team;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- Sound understanding of global and EU policy objectives related to climate change, environment and/or finance and how EU policies fit in with the current efforts to achieve the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Good public speaking skills and ability to interact with high-level representatives from the private and public sectors;
- Attention to detail with strong analytical, research, writing and drafting skills;
- Proven experience in the organization of high-level events;
- Fluent in English communication skills (written and verbal), French skills desirable, communication skills in another European language advantageous.
What we offer
- Exciting and challenging tasks in an international team with flat hierarchies and quick decision making;
- Competitive NGO salary and annual bonus (depending on company results);
- 30 days annual holidays;
- Flexible working hours;
- Monthly contribution to public transport in accordance with Belgian labour laws;
- Modern office with free hot beverages and considerable networking opportunities.
The successful candidate will work five days per week and must be able to work legally in Belgium. This full-time role is based at our office in Brussels, Belgium, and will work closely with and report to the Director of Policy & Reporting, CDP Europe.
Application deadline: 15/04/2018
Interested candidates should submit their complete application documents (motivation letter addressed to Mirjam Wolfrum, CV, references/certificates and salary expectations) in English, as a single PDF file and via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Public Affairs Officer – First name Last name” in the subject line.
Please note that we only provide feedback to shortlisted candidates due to the sheer volume of applications. If you do not hear from us within 14 days of the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Thank you for your understanding.