CECIMO seeks EU Public Affairs Economist
CECIMO is the European Association of the Machine Tool Industries. We bring together 15 national Associations of Machine Tool Builders, which represent approximately 1500 industrial enterprises in Europe*, over 80% of which are SMEs. CECIMO covers more than 99% of total machine tool production in Europe and 30% worldwide. It accounts for almost 150,000 employees and a turnover of over €22 Billion in 2012. More than tree quarters of CECIMO production is shipped abroad, whereas more than half of it is exported outside Europe (Europe = EU+EFTA+Turkey).
The European Machine Tool Industry is a key element to sustain the manufacturing activity in Europe. Thanks to the manufacturing solutions produced by an R&D driven machine tool industry, industrial sectors such as automotive, aerospace, power generation, medical products and general engineering can produce more efficiently, more accurately, faster, cheaper and more environmentally friendly. Our industry contributes to the Europe 2020 flagship initiative which aims at securing Europe’s global competitiveness.
Find out more on http://www.cecimo.eu
EU public affairs Economist (F/M)
The European Association of the Machine Tool Industries (CECIMO) is looking for a new member of staff to join its Secretariat team based in Brussels.
The successful candidate will be a strong analytical and strategic thinker, by preference an economist with a high interest in market intelligence and European public affairs. There will be a specific focus on the modernisation of Europe’s industry, including economic, fiscal, monetary incentives at EU and national level. He/she must be an excellent communicator.
Qualification and experience required
- University degree preferably in Economics, Business or Political Science with a specialisation in European studies.
- Analytical and organizational skills, sense of initiative, autonomy and task prioritization
- Comfortable with interpreting statistics and indicators into strategic and economic messages
- Ability to write clear and straightforward economic reports, articles (CECIMO magazine, CECIMO blog) and position papers
- Good understanding of European policies (especially in trade, internal market, economic and monetary policy) and the EU decision-making processes
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and oral)
- Ability to handle multiple EU policy issues simultaneously while respecting tight deadlines
- Attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture
- Interest in the manufacturing industry and issues surrounding it
- High customer service towards members and stakeholders
- Ready to contribute in a flexible way to a small but dynamic team
- English is the working language; any other European language is a strong asset
- Proficiency with Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and internet search engines
Statistics & Market surveys
- Update and development of the monthly CECIMO Statistical Toolbox, a set of macroeconomic indicators that are strongly correlated with the machine tool business cycles
- In charge of the Statistics & Marketing sections on the CECIMO website and extranet
- Organization of international economic and statistical meetings with CECIMO national statisticians
- Setting up of European-wide statistics for the sector: presentation to members during general assemblies and to EU officials during meetings or events
- Support to member associations for specific market surveys (emerging markets and/or new industrial segments)
- Contact person for external consultants and economists for the delivery of international studies and forecasts
EU Advocacy & Events
- Monitoring of EU dossiers and analysis of their possible impacts on the European machine tool industry
- Writing of position papers and responses to the public consultations
- Organization of visits to EU officials
- Promotion of the sector to EU Officials
- A motivating and multicultural working environment. Opportunity of gaining broad experience within an innovative industrial sector and a multinational association
- Huge variety in daily job, many and high level contacts, international experience including some travel
Please send your application (CV + cover letter) to CECIMO by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org until 22 April 2016. While we appreciate all responses to our request for applications, please understand that we will only contact short-listed candidates.
For further information: +32 (0)2 502 70 90 or www.cecimo.eu