Center for Global Development seeks Director of Policy Outreach
Director of Policy Outreach, Europe
The Center for Global Development (CGD) is an independent think tank based in Washington DC and London. We work to improve the lives of poor people in developing countries through innovative research that shapes better policy and practice by the world’s decision makers. We focus on the intersection of developing countries, and the governments, institutions and corporations that can help them deliver greater progress. Global Development is about more than just foreign aid, and our scholars produce practical, evidence-based policy solutions across a range of key areas, including health, migration, finance, technology, energy and gender equality. The policies of the EU and its member states in all these areas have a major bearing on global development.
CGD proactively engages with policymakers and other members of the development policy community, including NGOs, advocacy groups, foundations, business leaders, other think tanks and scholars, the media and the engaged public. Already established among the policy community in the US and UK, we are now seeking to scale up our outreach to the EU, its institutions and member states, by recruiting a Director of Policy Outreach, Europe, based in Brussels.
The Director of Policy Outreach, Europe will build networks with officials in EU institutions and among member state representatives, thought leaders and key influencers to understand their priorities and constraints, and to find opportunities to engage them in relevant CGD analysis and evidence. The goals are to establish the Center for Global Development in the minds of European policy-makers and influencers as a leading think-tank at the forefront of issues around EU policy on global development; to achieve tangible improvements to EU policy and practice; and to unlock new EU-orientated research and funding opportunities. The post-holder will share relevant CGD research in a timely, targeted way, highlighting the policy implications and opportunities of our findings. S/he will also ensure CGD scholars and staff are kept up-to-date about issues, trends and openings for CGD research in European development policy processes.
This role will be based in Brussels, with regular travel within Europe and sometimes beyond. It will report to the London-based Vice President and Director for CGD in Europe, work closely with DC-based Vice President for Communications and Outreach.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
European outreach, relationships and influence
- Develop and nurture productive working relationships with key relevant officials within the EU system, as well as the wider circle of the development policy community in Europe, including representing CGD and its work in relevant fora.
- Identify and leverage opportunities for CGD work to influence policy debates and outcomes.
Policy analysis and intelligence
- Provide analysis on European development issues and work closely with CGD researchers in producing evidence-based material for a European audience.
- Keep CGD staff and scholars regularly and continually informed about EU and member state positions and priorities on relevant issues, and facilitate physical or virtual meetings as needed.
Strategy in Europe and Brussels presence
- Provide strategic advice on CGD’s outreach strategy, publications, media, partnerships and events to showcase and disseminate CGD research to relevant development community members, as well as to the media and the wider public.
- Help develop CGD’s strategy in Brussels and Europe in close collaboration with CGD’s Europe office in London
Communications and events
- Help draft communications content to assist in outreach, e.g. two-pagers, blogposts, social media posts, internal briefings, etc, including writing, editing, and identification and articulation of key messages.
- Help organize events to assist in outreach as needed.
Experience and Attributes
- Seven to ten years’ experience with increasing seniority, in policy development, analysis and outreach with a European and/or global focus.
- Knowledge and understanding of EU institutions, policy landscape, key processes of decision-making alongside an understanding of European states’ current constraints and challenges
- Strong existing network of European development policy contacts preferred, but the people skills and natural authority to make and nurture key contacts is essential.
- A Master’s Degree in development or a related field is strongly desired. A Bachelors’ Degree plus substantial relevant research or policy experience will be considered. Individuals possessing knowledge of economic development, policy analysis and a strong communication background are highly preferred.
- Proven ability to “translate” academic research into language and concepts accessible to target audiences is required. Strong editing and writing and a solid strategic and analytic sense are critical to success.
- Individual initiative and self-sufficiency are critical, along with the ability to work with and alongside CGD’s research and communications teams. Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and deadlines are essential.
- Fluency in French as well as English is preferred. Other European languages would also be desirable
- Ability to travel within Europe and to CGD DC headquarters as needed.
- You should be eligible to work in the EU
How to apply
CGD Europe offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Candidates should forward their CV and a short cover letter, along with a sample piece of writing, to firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com.
Please use “Director of Policy Outreach Europe” in the subject line of email correspondence. CGD Europe is an equal opportunities employer.
The closing date for this role is midnight Sunday 18th February.