Deputy Head of Grants Services (m/f/d)
EMBL – European Molecular Biology Laboratory searches
Deputy Head of Grants Services (m/f/d)
in Heidelberg, Germany
Language: English (UK)
Organisation data: Grants Services
Job number: HD01672
Contract Type: Staff Member
Job Function: Senior Administrative Officer (gr. 6-8)
Closing Date: 21 January 2020
About the team/job
Based at EMBL Heidelberg, as the Deputy Head of Grants Services you will be a part of our Grants Services team that consists of 6 team members and currently manages approximately €50 – €60m a year funding income from an increasingly wide range of funders. This currently equates to over 350 running projects. Our team provides centralised administrative support to the Laboratory for all of its external funding activities as well as overall co-ordination of grant staff based in EMBL’s other locations.
Reporting directly to the Head of Grants Services, you will have a broad range of responsibilities concerning EMBL’s external research funding, relations with funding bodies, coordination with Grants Services at all EMBL sites and will share management responsibility for career development and mentoring of team members across sites. The activities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Deputising for the Head of Grants Services;
- Coordinating work for Grants Services activities with all EMBL sites, including other administrative departments, HR and legal departments;
- Career development and mentoring of team members as assigned by the Head of Grants Services.
- Maintaining good and proactive relations with grant awarding bodies, liaising effectively over changes in funding schemes, identifying impacts to EMBL of changes in funder requirements and policies and establishing initial action plans within EMBL to address any resultant issues;
- Management of the process for review, negotiation and finalisation of all grant agreements, consortium agreements and other related grant contractual documents;
- Supporting EMBL Principal Investigators and other grant and fellowship applicants in identifying external funding opportunities, applying for such opportunities and in the management of all awarded grants and similar awards;
- Monitoring grants compliance across EMBL, management of general grant compliance issues at an EMBL level and providing support, training and guidance to grant holders in their management of grant compliance at an individual award level;
- Management of grant related modules of EMBL’s integrated research system (Converis), preparing internal communication briefing notes and grant statistics;
- Review and streamlining of EMBL’s grants administration and promotion of a culture of excellent customer service to EMBL’s scientific community;
- Ensuring the provision of services necessary for the expansion of grant funding activities;
- Routine office duties such as the input of database information, dealing with correspondence, maintenance grant-related intranet information, maintenance of funders‘ information and rules, especially as these affect EMBL.
We are looking for candidates with strong grants management experience gained in a scientific environment and ideally experience in management of teams. As a senior administrative officer, you will successfully identify funding sources, manage relations with research funding bodies at multiple levels, and understand the management of grant compliance and contracts. You are able to communicate equally well with scientists, administrators and management and demonstrate a history of proactive management of projects and problems. As a true leader, you will have experience in motivating and inspiring colleagues and will be capable of contributing to the well-being of the whole organisation as an important member of the senior management team.
Excellent organizational skills, familiarity with contracts together with IT literacy are essential. Strong interpersonal skills, good communication, training skills and fluency in English are fundamental.
You might also have
Any working knowledge of German, French, Spanish or Italian would be advantageous but it is not essential.
Why join us
Working for EMBL gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. EMBL is curiosity-driven, community-oriented and international. Competitive salary, a relaxed culture, ongoing professional development, an on-site nursery, canteen and library all make EMBL a great place to work. EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment.
What’s it like to work at EMBL? Hear what some of our staff have to say on our YouTube channel http://s.embl.org/lifeatembl.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
As part of EMBL’s mission, the Administration unit provides support and services to all members of personnel across six sites in order to promote molecular biology across Europe, and to create a centre of excellence for leading molecular biologists. We aim to establish a dynamic and collaborative work environment across the whole of EMBL to uncover the most of our employees‘ potential.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Interviews on-site are tentatively planned for the week of 03/02/2020.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!