Director of Policy & International (m/f/d)
Grade: Principal Officer (PO)
Reporting to: Member of the Commission
Employing Authority: Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC)
Location: Dublin 1
Closing Date: 12 noon, Tuesday, 9th June 2020
The CCPC is seeking to recruit a
Director of Policy & International (m/f/d)
This is an opportunity for a high calibre, senior manager with demonstrated experience to lead a division which is mandated to research, communicate and develop internal and external policy positions on a wide range of consumer and competition issues. The Division also assists with the development of the CCPC’s international relationships.
The Division is newly created, its functions previously spread across a number of areas. A key role for the successful applicant will be to lead in establishing the new Division; developing a revised workplan, reviewing staffing requirements, ways of working and prioritisation. This role and the Division’s work is firmly rooted in the CCPC’s statutory function to conduct research and advise policy-makers in relation to consumer protection and competition matters. The Division delivers against the CCPC’s Strategic Goal 3: ‘We will work to influence public debate and policy development, promoting competition and highlighting the interests of consumers’.
The Director will lead on delivering the Division’s areas of work, which are to:
- Conduct evidence based market studies (for example waste, mortgages) and other research reports (PCP), examining the operation of sectors or practices within the economy and making recommendations as to how consumer protection and welfare and/or competition can be improved
- Follow up on recommendations from previous studies and reports with Government departments, state agencies and the private sector
- Commission consumer and businesses market research (to assess levels of knowledge of legislation/regulations and for the purpose of informing public awareness activities)
- Commission consumer behavioural studies (which include follow-up actions arising from the CCPC’s Financial Wellbeing report and to assist with the design of website tools and information)
- Research and prepare CCPC position papers for Commission approval on competition and consumer protection issues and in relation to Matters for Consideration by Government, and public consultation responses
- In the evolving context of Brexit; ensure that the CCPC is in a position to identify issues of direct relevance to its remit and engage in a timely and effective manner with relevant stakeholders, in particular the CCPC’s parent Department, Business, Enterprise and Innovation
- Continue the development and implementation of a strategy and policies for CCPC engagement with international activity, and represent the CCPC on national and international working groups and fora
- Consider and respond to non-enforcement consumer and business contacts
- Directly engage with stakeholders, or contribute to Commission engagement, including Government departments, sectoral regulators and public representatives
Reporting to a Member of the Commission, the Director of Policy & International will also play an important role at Senior Management level in ensuring that the CCPC fulfils its objectives under its Statement of Strategy.
- In the context of the areas of work above, develop and drive the divisional strategy and workplan, providing strategic leadership to the team, pro-actively contributing to the CCPC achieving its strategic objectives
- Consider the optimal structure of the Division, maximising the impact of existing resources and, in due course, assessing the need for any additional resources
- Monitor and develop capability and capacity across the team through effective delegation, coaching and mentoring to assist the transfer of skills
- Oversee the development and implementation of procedures and ways of work which allow for the best possible research and policy outputs to be produced
- Project Manage major studies and research projects
- Ensure application of the CCPC’s selection and prioritisation principles as well as risk management procedures. Effectively manage and direct multiple agendas and tasks and allocate resources appropriately
- Give direction and make timely operational decisions on relevant issues
- Promote the Mission, Vision and Values of the organisation though self-management and team management
- Such other functions as may be required from time to time both nationally and internationally to fulfil the business objectives of the CCPC
Technical and Professional Requirements
The successful applicant will have a critical leadership role in managing for results and delivering to a high standard in a challenging and dynamic environment. The post holder will be self-driven with the experience of contributing effectively to the strategic direction of an organisation and the ability to motivate staff to ambitious targets and deadlines. Therefore they should be able to demonstrate that they have, or can acquire quickly, the capacity to deal with all aspects of the work at this level.
It is required that candidates demonstrate the following:
- A relevant, Level 8 or above, third level qualification in public policy, policy analysis, economics, social science, or other demonstrably relevant discipline supplemented with at least 5 years’ experience working in policy analysis or development, advocacy, research or other demonstrably relevant area
- A minimum of 4 years senior management experience to include successfully leading a comparable business Unit or Division in the public sector or a comparable organisation
- The capacity to quickly master wide-ranging briefs; assimilate large volumes of information and arrive at clear proposed policy positions
- An in-depth understanding of how public policy is shaped and developed In Ireland and the EU
- Excellent communication, networking and influencing skills, as required to operate at a senior level
- Capacity to write policy positions and research reports in clear easy to read formats, suitable for a variety of audiences
- Project management skills and delivery of major research projects
- Experience of developing and successfully implementing business strategies, an understanding of risk management and demonstrable drive and commitment to improving best practice
- Knowledge of the consumer and/or competition related legislative and policy making environment, issues and challenges
- Knowledge of digital markets and their impact on consumer and/or competition issues
- Knowledge of primary, secondary and market (quantitative and qualitative) research methodologies
- Change management experience
- Post-graduation qualification in Strategy, Leadership or Management
How to Apply
1. Download the Job Information Booklet and Selection Process Guide below:
2. Upload a Cover letter (No more than one A4 page) & Up to date CV and complete the “PO – Competency Appraisal Form” below. These 3 items will need to be uploaded as 1 document.
PO – Competency Appraisal Form (Download)
Upload your application here!
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!