ECTAA – European Federation of national travel agents’ and tour operators’ associations seeks Secretary General
ECTAA is the European Federation of national travel agents’ and tour operators’ associations. Established in 1961 with headquarters in Brussels, it counts 33 national member associations in Europe as well as 4 international members. Its main aim is to represent the interests of travel agents and tour operators, and more generally of the tourism industry, vis-à-vis EU decision-makers and international organisations such as IATA, UNWTO, ISO, etc.
ECTAA is an important stakeholder of a thriving and very dynamic industry. The tourism industry generates 10.2% of total EU28 GDP, a figure which is forecasted to rise to 11.2% of GDP by 2027, and employs 26.5 million people. It addition to its economic importance, tourism helps to sustain our cultural and natural heritage, provides revenue to fund facilities and infrastructure enjoyed by visitors and residents, and promotes an awareness of a common European identity.
ECTAA is looking to recruit a Secretary General. His/her role will be to lead ECTAA’s policy development and engagement strategy towards EU decision-makers and international organisations.
- Lead the association in a manner that supports and guides the association’s mission as defined by the Board;
- Define the overall strategy and working programme of the association together with the Board;
- Review and analyse impact of EU legislative proposals and industry projects as well as develop positions in collaboration with the members and industry experts;
- Communicate timely and effectively with the Board, the members, the EU decision-makers and stakeholders;
- Prepare and manage the annual budget and accounts in partnership with the Board;
- Secure annual sponsorship;
- Manage projects and events;
- Manage and motivate human resources;
- Assure compliance with legal, fiscal and statutory requirements for non-for-profit associations;
- Build and maintain positive relations with members, decision-makers, industry stakeholders, team, etc.
Profile, skills and background
- University degree (master level) in economics, law or related areas;
- Minimum 10 years professional experience;
- Experience in the tourism industry, preferably as part of a travel agent / travel management company / online travel agent or tour operator / destination management company at least at management level. A good overall knowledge of the industry is essential to represent efficiently the industry’s best interests;
- A good knowledge (understanding) of the EU institutions and the EU decision-making process and experience in lobbying;
- Association / company management experience welcome;
- Fluent knowledge of at least two European languages including English and an operational knowledge of a third language. French constitutes an advantage considering the location of the secretariat in Brussels. Operational knowledge of additional EU languages will be a plus.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and in writing. Ability to address issues with the EU officials with the necessary diplomacy. Good ability to make public presentations. The future Secretary General should have a good knowledge of up-to-date communication tools including social networks;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with a natural understanding for cultural differences in a European and international context;
- Due to EU labor market regulations, the candidate should hold an EU passport and citizenship (non-EU citizens are required to possess or apply for a work permit).
The association offers
- Work in Brussels under a full-time contract;
- Attractive salary package under Belgian law;
- Additional benefits including pension scheme, hospital insurance, luncheon vouchers, etc.;
- An exciting job in one of the most dynamic industries in Europe.
How to apply
If you believe you qualify for this position, please send your CV in Europass format and motivation letter in English by 4 March 2019 to email@example.com.
The first round of interviews will take place in March.
Due to the large volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.