EEB – European Environmental Bureau seeks Policy Officer – Agriculture
The policy officer will be based in the EEB office in Brussels and be part of the team on Nature, Agriculture and Water within the EU Policy Unit. He/she will work on agriculture and related legislative proposals with a particular focus on improving the environmental performance of the CAP, in particular with regard to impacts on climate, biodiversity and water resources.
The work consists of:
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of the relevant topics and carry out specific in-depth research where required;
- Participating in the formulation of EEB policy, strategy and draft positions with respect to the relevant topics;
- Networking with EEB members to promote activities to influence EU decision-making in the relevant fields, in particular help coordinating EEB’s Agriculture Working Group;
- Liaising with key players from the EU institutions and other stakeholders to gather information and influence positions;
- Collaborate, coordinate and exchange information with current and potential partners;
- Collaborating and strategizing with other staff members on related issues such as biodiversity, soil, water and climate;
- Publicly present and defend the EEB’s positions, including in the media, in collaboration with line management and the Communications unit.
Qualities and experiences required for post:
- Have a relevant academic degree (additional work experience may be accepted in lieu of this);
- Have at least two years of work experience with EU agricultural and/or environmental policy, including analysis and formulation of policy;
- Have in-depth familiarity with agriculture policy and, in particular, the EU Common Agricultural Policy (CAP);
- Be capable of understanding and presenting, in written and oral form, the key scientific, economic and legal dimensions of the relevant topics;
- Have a sound grasp of the operation of EU institutions, co decision and EU environmental law;
- Have excellent communications and networking skills;
- Speak and write English fluently, with fluency in other EU languages being considered an asset;
- Be well organized with a great team spirit and able to work independently when necessary;
- Be prepared to work outside normal office hours if necessary and to travel at short notice.
The EEB offers:
- A competitive salary based on the level of experience, coupled with various benefits: holiday bonus, 13th month, pension scheme, luncheon vouchers
- A two-year contract, potentially extended pending sufficient funding
- A pleasant working atmosphere in an international working environment
- A worthy cause to work for
Applications consisting of a letter of motivation, CV and completed questionnaire (below) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please clearly mark: “Policy Officer on Agriculture” in the subject of your email.
Place: EEB office in Brussels
Deadline for Application:21 February 2019
Interviews first round: 7 March
Proposed starting date: As soon as possible
The EEB is an equal-opportunities employer.
Only applications that include these three components will be considered. Due to limited staff resources and numbers of CVs anticipated, only candidates selected for interviews will receive a reply.
Please read our recruitment privacy statement before applying:
In your own words, please provide brief responses to the following two questions. You should not exceed 2 sides of A4 in responding to all the questions:
- What environmental problems has agricultural intensification led to and what are the main shortcomings of the legislative proposal from the European Commission on the Future CAP from an environmental sustainability perspective?
- What would be your strategy during the co-decision process to ensure that EEB position is taken up by decision makers?
European Environmental Bureau AISBL
Rue des Deux Eglises 14-16, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Tel: +32 (0)2 289 10 90; Fax: +32 (0)2 289 10 99