Secretary General (m/w/d)
EFIL – The European Federation for Intercultural Learning is recruiting a
Secretary General (m/w/d)
EFIL is the umbrella organisation of 28 volunteer-based non-profit NGOs in Europe. The member organizations promote world peace by developing intercultural understanding through intercultural student exchange programs and learning opportunities including trainings, workhops and program designs for educational institutions in the worldwide network of AFS Intercultural Programs – afs.org. Today, these Member Organisations of EFIL operate in 56 countries involving thousands of students, teachers, families and volunteers annually.
EFIL is a key player in Europe in the field of intercultural learning. Since the foundation of EFIL in 1971, the Federation’s main activities have focused on advocacy, fundraising, training and fostering the sharing of know-how and practices amongst its Member Organisations and the international network of AFS. EFIL’s activities are financially supported by its members, the European Institutions and its own fundraising.
The Secretariat is based in Brussels and comprises a team of 6 professionals and a variable number of volunteers across the continent. EFIL provides a dynamic work environment in a multicultural team.
Job Description and Responsibilities
Working closely with the Board of Directors, the EFIL Secretariat, key leaders and volunteers of the European Member Organisations and the wider AFS-network, the Secretary General will be responsible for the successful operation and strategic growth of EFIL. S/He will generate enthusiasm for a shared European vision and inspire collaborative efforts in consultation with international colleagues of diverse cultural backgrounds. Furthermore, the Secretary General will be responsible for and confident in the financial and administrative management of EFIL.
Secretary General will be expected to lead the EFIL Secretariat and to further improve the possibilities of intercultural learning in Europe through coordinated advocacy, fundraising, communication and training activities in co-operation with the member organisations.
- Experience in people management and volunteer management, talent development and performance evaluation/feedback of direct reports
- Building processes and facilitating group meetings
- Experience in working with the governance of a voluntary Board of Directors
- Experience with advocacy, resource development and relationship-building
- Experience in building, facilitating or managing strategic change management and/or transforming strategies and policies into concrete actions and business plans.
- Project, administrative and financial management experience at similar organisations
- Experience in the field of formal/non-formal education, youth and/or intercultural understanding recommended, especially with the European institutions
- Excellent English language skills required (French or Flemish language skills are recommended)
- Relevant master’s degree or equivalent professional work experience
- Prepared to travel frequently internationally, including weekends
- Communicates Effectively: Able to articulate in a rational, logical manner in order to convince and move the organisation ahead, conveys clear, inspiring and dynamic messages, uses diverse tools of communication appropriately and effectively
- Adapts to Diverse Settings: interpersonal and intercultural adaptation skills, maturity and ability to adapt to constantly changing environments, nimble learning
- Drives Vision and Inspires Others: Able to influence and build consensus within the federation and around it (e.g. with outside institutions, the larger network of AFS and AFS International), communicates vision in a compelling and exciting way
- Execution Driven and Manages Complexity: able to manage contradictory or complex priorities, deal with resistance and to take care of a good work-life balance, manages a range of projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrates Inclusion and Values Differences: An inclusive leader capable of working with a multinational team of colleagues, able to apply diplomacy and tact
- Drives Innovation: An entrepreneurial self-starter who is opportunity oriented and can demonstrate energy, drive and commitment
- Leading People: leads, motivates and inspires staff in EFIL, ensures clarity and alignment around organizational and individual priorities
What we offer
- An international and dynamic working environment
- Access to a network of leaders of AFS around the world but specifically within the EU
- A motivated team
- An inclusive environment
- Learning and development opportunities
Terms of Contract
The position is advertised as a full-time position and is based in Brussels.
Please note that the applicant needs to have a work permit for the EU.
- 5 January 2020 – Deadline for applications
- January 2020 – Online and phone interviews – assessment
- February 2020 – Meeting and final interviews with the Board
- A CV (including a portrait photo), at least 2 written job references and a letter of motivation should be received by the deadline
- Please send these documents in English to the following email-address of the search committee: email@example.com
- Incomplete and late applications will not be considered
- All communication to candidates concerning this vacancy will be in English.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!