Environmental Officer (m/f/d)
One of EMBL’s main missions is conducting world class fundamental research in molecular biology, whilst also considering and responding to urgent societal needs such as fighting climate change and environmental pollution. To this end we are committed to face these current challenges not only via basic research but also via environment-conscious scientific lifestyle and campus development.
We aim to achieve this for example by addressing the topic of carbon neutrality and how EMBL can contribute to it. This will result in various initiatives and projects that cover both life on our campuses and fundamental research. In order to develop, implement and communicate these activities we are looking for a highly motivated candidate to join us as Environmental Officer.
Environmental Officer (m/f/d)
The EMBL Environmental Officer will develop and coordinate initiatives towards reducing our carbon footprint and facilitating environmental protection at the EMBL campuses in close collaboration with the „Green EMBL“ working group. The post holder will:
- plan, manage and implement various activities towards „Green EMBL“ and coordinate between EMBL sites;
- introduce a new monitoring scheme for air and train travel;
- develop and update travel recommendations for staff;
- lead discussions with different EMBL bodies regarding implementation (finance, facility management, canteen, etc.);
- communicate with, and explain new initiatives to EMBL faculty and staff;
- organize public awareness events such as the world climate day;
- initiate, write, and monitor public outreach and press releases on EMBL environmental projects, or achievements;
- establish and maintain contact to local authorities, governmental and non-governmental agencies and organizations to coordinate efforts with other stakeholders;
- implement environmental policies and practices;
- devise the best tools and systems to monitor performance and to implement strategies;
- assess, analyze and collate environmental performance data and report information;
- liaise with internal staff including senior managers and directors;
- act as a focal point for environmental issues within the organization;
- keep up to date with relevant changes in environmental legislation and initiatives including international legislation where applicable.
- Academic qualifications in a scientific discipline and/or environmental and sustainability studies;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills;
- Sufficient knowledge on current environmental topics and scientific and societal challenges around as well as enthusiasm for environmental matters;
- Experience in writing reports, doing presentations and good management and organisational skills;
- Fluency in English.
You might also have
- Work experience in a scientific environment will be an advantage;
- Being a good community mobilizer, ability to facilitate sessions and good public speaking skills are advantageous.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new technologies and instruments in the life sciences, actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!