EU Advocacy Manager (m/f/d)
Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is looking for an
EU Advocacy Manager (m/f/d)
Global Alignment and Integrity Unit – European Programme
Are you looking to advance you career while working with one of the world’s most trusted and influential conservation organizations?
Are you a passionate and committed specialist who is at ease whether working with non-governmental organizations, policy makers or government representatives of the EU?
Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is seeking a motivated professional who will build links with key influencers in European institutions and other Networks to raise awareness of FSC.
In 1994, an international group of leaders in business, human rights, and the environment came together with a vision to harness the power of the marketplace to encourage the responsible stewardship of forests. Together they formed the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), setting standards for responsible forest management and developing a certification system so that businesses and consumers could directly contribute to the health of forests and forest communities through their purchasing choices.
For 25 years, through its uniquely trusted forest management and chain-of-custody (COC) certification standards, FSC has been advancing the cause of responsible forest management around the world and across industries. Today, 200 million hectares of forests in 80 countries are certified to FSC forest management standards and more than 38,000 companies are certified to trade in FSC-certified products. For more information on FSC, visit our website at www.ic.fsc.org.
From leading the design of policies and standards to developing markets and promoting the brand, FSC is committed to finding most skilled and dedicated people to work with us around the world in our ongoing mission to protect forests for all, forever.
Reporting to the Regional Director Europe the Advocacy Manager will understand the political landscape and develop approaches to position FSC. He/she will build and manage meaningful partnerships with key organizations, identify programs for outreach to and engagement with policy makers on impact of FSC. The advocacy work is closely linked to the Stakeholder Solutions unit as part of our overall Engagement strategy.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key influencers in European institutions (policy makers, government representatives) and Brussels-based representatives of international organizations.
- Increase the engagement of EU parliamentarians and Commission officials in FSC by continuously informing them about the benefits and opportunities of FSC certification.
- Engage with non-governmental organizations in the European landscape on forestry related issues, identify opportunities for close collaboration.
- Analyze, inform about and respond to EU and other European policy processes and trends that are relevant to FSC and ensure consistency in approach to FSC’s policy issues.
- Advise FSC in order to ensure compliance with existing/new legislation and/or to fit better with other public policies and activities.
- Participate in relevant public policy making/revision processes to promote decision making that support achievement of FSC’s Regional Priorities and the wider global mission.
- Work closely with FSC Network Partners and communications colleagues to identify, create and act upon opportunities to raise awareness of FSC’s relevance for the formulation and implementation of EU policies.
Qualification, Experience and Skills:
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. Political or Social Science, International Relations, Law).
- At least 3 years of experience in coordinating international advocacy activities and campaigns.
- Experience in influencing policy-making processes in the EU.
- Knowledge of EU institutions, international trends, policies and programs regarding development issues, sustainable development goals and NGO advocacy.
- Fluency in English and French (spoken and written) is required, other European language would be an advantage.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to facilitate interactive discussions as well as establish and maintain positive interpersonal relations.
- Experience in / with an NGO or Non-Profit Organization.
- Experience working remotely.
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and sensitivity to the diversity of values, views and approaches to issues relevant to the FSC program by stakeholders around the world.
- Ability to represent FSC through his/her work with exemplary personal and professional authority and conduct.
- Commitment to FSC’s mission and values.
Terms and Conditions:
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- Type and duration of contractual arrangement: Service Agreement-2 year (extension possible).
- Working Hours: Full time – 40 hours per week.
- Starting Date: September 2019 or as soon as possible
- Travel: sporadic travel within Europe.
How to Apply:
Please send your motivation letter (including your gross compensation) and your CV in English as email attachments to email@example.com
Please do not send any photos of yourself, including as a picture on your CV and make sure to insert ‘Advocacy Manager – Your Name – 2019’ in the subject line of your email.
The deadline for applications is 21 July 2019.
We will confirm receipt of your application. However, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be further contacted and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process. Should you not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your spam filter and if you cannot find it there contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be informed, that by applying for this position you automatically accept our
Data Protection Information on processing your personal data.
We are looking forward to your application!
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!