EurAc seeks Communications and Advocacy Officer
EURAc is a network of European NGOs active in Burundi, Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo in the areas of foreign relations, development, human rights and humanitarian aid. The network’s 41 members based in 12 European countries gather together in EurAc in order to advocate for more coherent diplomatic efforts and political intervention by the European Union ( and its member states as well as by the United Nations). EurAc pushes for the international community to respond more effectively to the needs and views of the people in the African Great Lakes.
EurAc’s members share the same concerns towards the structural causes of under-development and conflict. More information can be found on the network’s website (www.eurac-network.org)
EurAc seeks a
Communications and Advocacy Officer (m/f)
The post is based in Brussels at EurAc’s Secretariat. The post’s aims are to develop a strategy and to promptly and clearly communicate EurAc’s advocacy messages. It requires well developed skills of understanding complex content and transforming it into policy messages. The successful candidate will also support the secretariat in the organization and communication of public events and institutional meetings.
The successful candidate is accountable to the Executive Secretary with regards to daily activities.
- To contribute to EurAc’s analysis and transform it into clear policy messages;
- To draft communiqués and policy messages and identify the best strategy and means of communication channels to be used for dissemination;
- To contribute to defining communication strategies aimed at influencing EU policies towards Rwanda, Burundi and DRC;
- To monitor and identify opportunities in order to influence European Institutions and Member States (often at short notice);
- To organize EurAc’s internal and external events;
- To support the secretariat in administrative tasks as requested;
- To contribute to annual, quarterly and monthly planning of and reporting on the work of the secretariat;
- To stimulate the exchange of information and dialogue among EurAc’s members;
- To ensure all other relevant communication and networking activities are functioning appropriately.
Knowledge and skills
- Advanced academic degree in social sciences or the equivalent;
- Proven experience in communicating advocacy messages and time them with political opportunities;
- Knowledge of the structure and functioning of the European Union;
- Experience of working in a multi stakeholder context with ordinary members and board members intensively involved;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, in English and French. Preferably English native speaker;
Excellent organisational skills;
- Solid analytical skills;
- Proven interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish professional relations with a large group of partners;
- Ability in managing deadlines and set up priorities;
- Proven report capacities;
- Interest towards the Great Lakes region and understanding of issues related to democratization, peace and conflict, governance is a plus;
- Team spirit, flexibility and spirit of initiative;
EurAc offers a one year fix term contact renewable, with the possibility to be converted to a permanent contract pending availability of funds.
How to apply:
Please send a curriculum vitae and a motivation letter specifying why you think you are suitable for the role to the attention of Donatella Rostagno (email@example.com)
Please submit your application documents saved according to the following model: Family name_Communication_CV and Family name_Communication_motivation letter
The closing date for the applications is Monday 7 December 2015 at 17h Candidates will be informed if they are invited to interviews in the week of 14 December 2015.
Interviews will take place in January 2016 (exact date to be determined).