Euro Coop seeks Food Policy Officer
Food Policy Officer
Euro Coop is looking for a Food Policy Officer to manage its Food portfolio and assist with Secretariat policy and advocacy tasks.
Euro Coop is the European Community of Consumer Co-operatives, which brings together national organisations of consumer co-operatives from 19 European countries. Created in 1957 as the first European co-operative association and one of the first European not-for-profit associations recognized by the European Commission, today Euro Coop represents over 4,500 local and regional co-operatives, which employ 500,000 citizens across the continent. Though our members engage in a wide array of economic activities, the one common activity is that of retail. Our members operate 36,000 stores across Europe, which serve and are owned by 32 million consumer members, and which generate an annual turnover of € 79 billion. The Secretariat is based in Brussels.
The Food Policy Officer is responsible for managing the Food portfolio with a view to increase Euro Coop’s influence in those areas vis-à-vis the European Institutions. The Officer will also be in charge of facilitating the exchange of information and best practices among Euro Coop members in the areas of Food. The position requires close networking with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. The position may require traveling. The Officer will also assist with general policy and advocacy tasks linked to the functioning of the Association.
Specific Duties (non-exhaustive list)
- To be responsible for food issues within Euro Coop and to take the lead in identifying strategic lobbying actions in favour of consumer co-operatives in this area;
- Act as co-ordinator of the Euro Coop Food Policy Working Group (FPWG), comprised of experts from Euro Coop’s national member associations;
- Monitor legislative developments and other news of interest to members of the FPWG and send them a weekly update on these matters;
- Develop and deliver EU advocacy initiatives, including direct lobbying;
- Co-ordinate key areas of Euro Coop work with the Secretariat, Euro Coop members and allies;
- Represent Euro Coop in meetings organized by EU Institutions and other stakeholders;
- Monitor EU Institutions to identify and predict key issues affecting Euro Coop;
- Provide tailored information and advice to Euro Coop members on EU advocacy targets and developments on food and retail policy issues;
- Organise and manage events in Brussels to support Euro Coop advocacy;
- Contribute to monthly newsletter with articles from within policy portfolios, drafting of annual Obesity Report, contributing to the Secretariat’s Annual Report and other ad-hoc publications.
Required Knowledge & Skills
- 3-5 years working experience in the EU food policy area;
- Work experience in member-based international associations and/or in relevant offices within the EU institutions;
- Experience in drafting documents (reports, summaries, position papers, articles, other);
- Excellent knowledge of English;
- Working knowledge of main software tools;
- Flexible mindset and team player;
- Social and people skills, experience in public speaking and ability to present in front of audience;
- Ability to work independently in a multicultural environment;
- Availability to travel;
- Ability to analyse and coherently structure mass content (ex. EU publications) and its relevance to membership.
- Knowledge of French (other languages a bonus – Italian, Spanish, German);
- Knowledge of co-operative enterprises and the retail sector.
Terms & Conditions
- One-year contract starting as soon as possible (extendable if mutual expectations are met);
- Salary and conditions are dependent on experience and knowledge.
If interested, please send us your CV and cover letter (up to 1 printed page) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Food Policy Officer” by 8th of March 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Interviews, 14th to 16th March.