Eurodad seeks Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer
Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer – Tax Justice
Eurodad (the European Network on Debt and Development) is a network of 46 civil society organisations (CSOs) from 19 European countries, which works for transformative yet specific changes to global and European policies, institutions, rules and structures to ensure a democratically controlled, environmentally sustainable financial and economic system that works to eradicate poverty and ensure human rights for all.
The purpose of this role is to help ensure that Eurodad’s exciting work tackling tax avoidance and evasion that leads to enormous out flows of wealth from developing countries is based on robustly researched analysis, with a strong advocacy focus and an understanding of how this supports strategic campaigns. The role involves research, monitoring and analysing policy developments, advocacy and networking, including by producing joint reports and analysis with our members and partners.
The successful candidate will balance excellent advocacy – focussed research and policy analysis skills with strong interpersonal communication, and the ability to plan, organise and implement under their own initiative. They will be excited by working at the cutting edge of development financ e policy debates and campaigns, and have experience of working with advocacy and campaign focussed civil society groups or similar organisations. They will need to speak and write English to a very high standard.
Eurodad colleagues, Eurodad members and other civil society organisations in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, academics and think tanks, officials in organisations such as the European Commission , European Parliament and EU Member States.
Contract & location
Brussels – based, permanent contract. Competitive salary, depending on skills and experience. Hospitalisation insurance, travel insurance and contribution to pension plan.
POLICY MONITORING, RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS
- Coordinate joint report writing with allied organisations, including developing joint methodologies, streamlining of contributions, editing and identifying joint conclusions and recommendations.
- Design and conduct research and policy analysis on relevant development finance issues (both quantitative and qualitative).
- Produce briefings, articles, updates and summaries based on research on current development finance processes, policies and practices.
- Keep up to date with key issues, including monitoring relevant official and civil society activities in policy areas identified as network priorities.
INFORMATION SHARING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Respond to questions from Eurodad member groups and others on key issues.
- Produce, edit and put online content for Eurodad’s website, newsletter and other publications, including h elping ensure effective dissemination to relevant networks and individuals.
- Play an active role in ensuring effective communications strategy and outreach including designing dissemination strategies and keeping the website up to date.
ADVOCACY AND NETWORKING
- Input into Eurodad’s advocacy strategies in key areas.
- Support the organization of and participate in advocacy meetings, including with politicians, officials and parliamentarians.
- Present Eurodad work at conferences and seminars.
- Help organise, fa cilitate and attend meetings, conferences, teleconferences and other processes with Eurodad members and allies to agree common strategies and initiatives.
ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPORT TO OTHER MEMBERS OF THE TEAM
- Support fundraising activities, including by drafting relevant sections of reports and proposals.
- Contribute, as part of Eurodad’s team, to building team spirit by supporting colleagues and assisting with the day to day running of the office.
ROLE RELATED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong communication skills with a very high standard of spoken and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tactful but effective facilitation to agree objectives.
- Politically sharp policy analysis skills, including an ability to analyse political and policy developments, develop strategic advocacy positions that imply transformative change, and implement them using a variety of civil society tactics.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, particularly the ability to plan and execute research that contributes to advocacy strategies, and ability to prioritise, use own initiative and work independently.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- At least eight years‘ relevant work experience, including:
- Working on policy, advocacy, or campaigning, ideally in an advocacy or campaigning civil society organisation, particularly experience of working as part of coalitions or networks.
- Research and analysis, writing briefings or reports on international development or related issues.
- Making complex topics accessible and relevant to policy audiences, including writing succinct and well – structured summaries, articles, and briefings.
- Educated to at least degree level in political sciences, economics, development studies or related subject.
- Computer literate and familiar with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Working in a developing country and/or working with organisations from the Global South
- Understanding of develop ment finance policy issues, and contemporary policy and political debates
- Understanding of the workings of the European Union, OECD and other relevant multilateral institutions.
- Knowledge of French or Spanish
COMMITMENT TO EURODAD’S OBJECTIVES AND WILLINGNESS TO TRAVEL
Closing date: 30th March 2018