Eurodad seeks Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer (Publicly-Backed Private Finance)
Senior Policy and Advocacy Officer
Publicly-Backed Private Finance
Eurodad (the European Network on Debt and Development) is a network of 46 civil society organisations (CSOs) in 19 European countries, which works for transformative yet specific changes to global and European policies, institutions, rules and structures to ensure a democratically controlled, environmentally sustainable financial and economic system that works to eradicate poverty and ensure human rights for all.
The successful candidate will play a major role in Eurodad’s exciting work to make publicly supported private finance contribute to sustainable development objectives. This currently means leading our work supporting a global campaign on public-private partnerships (PPPs), and developing or supporting our work on other key issues, including infrastructure investment, and the role of public development banks.
The role involves network and campaign coordination, research, advocacy, networking, monitoring and analysing policy developments, including by producing joint reports and analysis with our members and partners.
The candidate will be responsible for advocacy, coalition building and research and will require excellent policy analysis skills allied to a good understanding of how CSO coalitions can create transformative change. They will have excellent interpersonal communication skills and be self-motivated with the ability to plan and implement under their own initiative. They will have experience of working with advocacy focussed civil society groups or similar organisations. They will need to speak and write English to a very high standard.
Eurodad colleagues, Eurodad members and other civil society organisations in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, academics and think tanks, officials in organisations such as the World Bank, IMF, European Commission and OECD.
Contract & location
Brussels-based, permanent contract. Competitive salary, depending on skills and experience. Hospitalisation insurance, travel insurance and contribution to pension plan.
A. POLICY MONITORING, RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS
- Coordinate joint report writing with allied organisations, including developing joint methodologies, streamlining of contributions, editing and identifying joint conclusions and recommendations;
- Design and conduct research and policy analysis on relevant development finance issues (both quantitative and qualitative);
- Produce briefings, articles, updates and summaries based on research on current development finance processes, policies and practices;
- Keep up to date with key issues, including monitoring relevant official and civil society activities in policy areas identified as network priorities.
B. ADVOCACY AND NETWORKING
- Input into Eurodad’s advocacy strategies in key areas, in order to make sure we support and create effective campaigns for change;
- Support the organization of and participate in advocacy meetings, including with politicians, officials and parliamentarians;
- Present Eurodad work at conferences and seminars;
- Help organise, facilitate and attend meetings, conferences, teleconferences and other processes with Eurodad members and allies to agree common strategies and initiatives;
- Respond to questions from Eurodad member groups and others on key issues;
- Produce and edit content for Eurodad’s website, newsletter and other publications, including helping ensure effective dissemination to relevant networks and individuals;
- Play an active role in ensuring effective communications strategy and outreach including designing dissemination strategies.
C. ADMINISTRATION AND SUPPORT TO OTHER MEMBERS OF THE TEAM
- Support fundraising activities, including by drafting relevant sections of reports and proposals;
- Contribute, as part of Eurodad’s team, to building team spirit by supporting colleagues and assisting with the day to day running of the office.
ROLE RELATED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
1. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
- Strong communication skills with a very high standard of spoken and written English;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tactful but effective facilitation to agree objectives;
- Politically sharp policy analysis skills, including an ability to analyse political and policy developments, develop strategic advocacy positions that imply transformative change, and implement them using a variety of civil society tactics;
- Strong planning and organisational skills, particularly the ability to contribute to advocacy and campaign strategies, and ability to prioritise, use own initiative and work independently.
2. ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- At least eight years’ relevant work experience, including:
- Working on policy, advocacy, or campaigning, ideally in an advocacy or campaigning civil society organisation, particularly experience of working as part of coalitions or networks;
- Research and analysis, writing briefings or reports on international development or related issues;
- Making complex topics accessible and relevant to key audiences, including writing succinct and well-structured summaries, articles, and briefings.
- Educated to at least degree level in political sciences, economics, development studies or related subject;
- Computer literate and familiar with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Understanding of develop finance policy issues and political debates;
- Understanding of the workings of the International Financial Institutions, United Nations, Development Finance Institutions, European Union, and other relevant multilateral institutions.
3. DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE
- Working in a developing country and/or working with organisations from the Global South;
- Knowledge of French or Spanish.
4. COMMITMENT TO EURODAD’S OBJECTIVES AND WILLINGNESS TO TRAVEL
Closing date: 31th March 2018