Eurogroup for Animals seeks Volunteers in communications and international trade
Volunteers in communications and international trade
Eurogroup for Animals has been the leading voice for animal welfare at European Union level since 1980 and represents 58 national and international animal welfare organisations, in Europe and beyond. We provide a voice for the billions of animals kept in laboratories, farms and homes or living in the wild, and work to create a Europe where animals are considered and valued as contributing to our well-being, prosperity and to the sustainability of our planet.
We are looking for motivated individuals with high level of interest in animal welfare / animal protection and related fields. We offer guided experience focusing on specific activities or projects.
- Start: February 2018 (specific dates to be discussed);
- Duration: minimum 3 months, 6 months preferred;
- All volunteers will work out of Eurogroup for Animals’ office in Brussels;
- As a non-profit organisation, we are not in a position to offer financial remuneration, but we will provide you with substantive professional guidance, as well as with a network of more than 50 organisations working in the field.
- Lunch expenses will be covered (fixed daily amount of Euro8 per worked day);
- On request we can provide a proof of placement for purposes of funding/scholarship applications.
Volunteers at Eurogroup for Animals are considered colleagues who are investing their time, effort and know-how to help progress our cause. In exchange they will gain practical insights into international (EU and beyond) advocacy and learn substance on a first-hand basis. As such, your key responsibilities would involve:
- Assisting in research activities on specific topics relating to our main pillars of work: animals used in farming systems, for companionship or in research as well as wild animals and trade;
- Contributing to strategic approaches to advocacy and lobbying within the EU institutions and other international forums;
- Providing fresh ideas regarding outreach and information campaigns, where applicable;
- Taking part in meetings within the civil society and in the EU institutions as appropriate;
- Providing substantiated advice and, if necessary, talking points to senior colleagues and executives at Eurogroup for Animals;
- Delivering on other tasks as requested within the portfolio of Eurogroup for Animals’ activities.
- University student or a recent graduate with an academic background in international relations, European studies, economics and trade, agriculture, environment, wildlife management, sustainable development, veterinary medicine, communications or any related field;
- Strong motivation to work on animal advocacy, experience in this or related field would be considered an advantage;
- Eager to learn and have the ability to apply newly acquired knowledge into practice quickly and with precision;
- Pro-active, a positive team player and service oriented;
- Ability to work with high degree of accountability, diligence and sense of responsibility;
- Fluent in spoken and written English and preferably at least one additional EU language;
- Proven creativity, research and analytical skills would be considered a strong advantage, so would be proven knowledge of EU institutions.
Specific areas of work
At present, Eurogroup for Animals is able to offer positions in two specific areas: international trade and communication. In your application, please state and justify your preference.
- animal welfare in bilateral negotiations between the EU and third countries/groups of countries;
- animal welfare in CITES decisions and related implementation processes;
- implementation of negotiated trade deals, World Trade Organization;
- compliance of EU legislation with international trade and investment treaties;
- improving of animal welfare/protection standards in third countries through negotiated agreements)
- track and monitor the movements’ online news/social media actions across Europe
- implement tailored communication actions on social media
- support the implementation of our campaigns
- collect and analyse analytics for the different channels used (website, twitter, facebook)
To apply for one of the positions, please send a CV and a letter of application stating your skills, motivation and preferred area of work, both in English, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only successful candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview.
Deadline for applications: 5 February 2018