European Biogas Association seeks Policy Advisor
Starting date: Mid-march 2018
EBA is a non-profit organisation which is responsible for promoting the deployment of sustainable biogas and biomethane production across Europe and also for representing the sector at EU level. Our network unites the most experienced biogas experts from 26 countries across Europe, including national industrial associations, plant constructors, plant operators, service providers and scientific institutes.
Job description and scope of activities
- Coordinating EBA’s advocacy strategy under the Secretary General’s supervision.
- Responsible for drafting EBA positions, public communication responses and other policy documents on various policy areas (energy, environment and agriculture), while integrating the views from the association’s members.
- Constant contact with key EU decision-makers in the 3 institutions as well as relevant stakeholders to advocate for the biogas sector.
- Following policy discussions at EU level and updating members on developments.
- Representing EBA at Commission/JRC working groups, as well as participating or presenting at relevant events in Brussels.
- Assist EBA’s Communications and Technical Departments with policy content where required, particularly for Press Releases and H2020 projects.
- Most of the work is in Brussels, with occasional trips to biogas events of members at national level (around 2-4 a year).
Qualifications and experience required
- At least 3-6 years of EU advocacy experience representing EU industry or NGOs, and ideally also working experience within the EU institutions.
- Relevant work experience in at least one, or preferably several, of the following EU policy areas: energy, transport, agriculture, waste management, environment and climate.
- Postgraduate university degree in related field, such as political science, law, international relations, European studies, environmental engineering, agronomy or biochemistry.
- Experience working with EU projects, including going to policy-related consortium meetings and providing input to project deliverables.
- Necessary experience to work and cooperate with the Communications team, including: relations with EU/specialised media, helping to organise EBA events (particularly finding speakers and providing advocacy content) and assist with policy content for PR activities.
Knowledge and skills
- A solid network of contacts in Brussels.
- Fast at understanding complex technical issues, integrating them into EBA’s policy positions and then explaining them in a simple manner to non-experts.
- The ability to multitask and prioritise your work during moments of high activity.
- Able to work autonomously under the Secretary General’s supervision.
- A reliable team player who supports its colleagues.
- Articulate, diplomatic and sensitive to cultural differences, both while doing internal work as well as EU advocacy.
- Excellent oral and written skills, a confident speaker.
- Fully fluent in English (EBA’s main working language), ideally also with a working level of French or German, other languages are welcome.
What EBA offers
- A full time permanent contract under Belgian law after a 6 month trial period.
- The prospect to grow within EBA’s secretariat in the long term.
- The possibility to advocate for progressive and ambitious EU policies, representing mostly SMEs and farmers working at local level across the EU.
- An international team of young and driven professionals.
- The possibility to work on a wide range of interesting topics and build both policy and sectoral expertise.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit a CV (max. 2 pages, no Europass format) in English and a motivation letter. In addition, please include your reply to the following question: What aspects of the recently published “Clean Mobility Package” are of importance in your view to the biogas/biomethane sector and why? (1 page maximum).
Please send your email with the subject “Application for Policy Advisor – [insert your name]” to Susanna Pflüger email@example.com by Wednesday the 28th February 2018 at the latest. Only candidates selected for the interviews will be contacted.