European Centre for Democracy and Human Rights seeks EU Advocacy Volunteer
EU Advocacy Volunteer
The European Centre for Democracy and Human Rights (ECDHR) is looking for an EU Advocacy volunteer for a period of six months, on a full-time basis, to help with the tasks and mission of its Brussels’ office.
This is a great opportunity for recent graduate or young professional interested in human rights who wish to gain hands-on experience in advocacy, communication and research with EU institutions.
The European Centre for Democracy and Human Rights (ECDHR) is the European representation of a coalition of other like-minded NGOs, which includes the Americans for Democracy and Human Rights in Bahrain-ADHRB (Washington DC, USA), the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights-BCHR (Copenhagen, Denmark) and the Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy-BIRD (London, UK), seeking to promote human rights and democracy in the Gulf Region, with a particular focus on Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
ECDHR is in charge of representing the network at the EU level to engage in awareness raising with EU stakeholders in order to defend and uphold human rights and democracy in the Gulf.
This position is unpaid though a small daily stipend will be provided.
The starting date is scheduled for early February 2018.
- To monitor and draft regular updates on the EU policy, legal and political developments relevant to ECDHR’s mission;
- To a ttend, follow and report on hearings, briefings, conferences, and other meetings on behalf of ECDHR team;
- To a ssist in social media campaigns and the drafting of external communications, including managing ECDHR’s twitter profile, Facebook page and website ;
- To assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials;
- To assist with the organisation of advocacy meetings and other events;
- To provide general administrative support.
Qualifications and Skills The ideal candidate will be/have
- A t least an undergraduate degree in European Studies, Law, Politics, International Relations or similar;
- Excellent knowledge of the EU institutional architecture and decision – making processes, especially European Parliament;
- Knowledge of human rights issues, in particular freedom of speech, expression, and association, due process rights, and/or prisoners’ rights;
- Demonstrable research and writing skills;
- Analytical skills and ability to digest complex information into concise and informative briefs ;
- Ability to work inde pendently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment;
- Strong oral and written communication and organisational skills;
- Proficient in English (both written and spoken);
- Must have the right to work in Belgium .
Knowledge and skills considered as an asset
- Previous experience with EU Institutions , EU Public Affairs ;
- Knowledge of the Gulf region;
- Knowledge of Arabic ;
- Previous experience with Twitter, WordPress.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please email your CV (maximum two pages) and Cover Letter (maximum one page) by Sunday 21 January 2018 – 23.59 CET to email@example.com clearly stating “EU Advocacy Volunteer ” in the subject line. Please indicate when you will be able to start the position.