European Climate Foundation seeks European Relationship Manager
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to promote climate and energy policies that greatly reduce Europe’s greenhouse gas emissions and to help Europe play a stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The ECF is funded by major multi-year commitments from donors in Europe and the United States. The ECF is part of the international ClimateWorks Network that shares goals, strategies and resources to address the global challenge of climate change mitigation with a global network of aligned organizations.
The ECF team is a highly dynamic group of individuals, combining ambition and passion with a rigorous, results-oriented and analytic approach to work. The ECF’s culture is one of intensity, enthusiasm and mutual support.
European Relationship Manager
ECF seeks a European Relationship Manager to contribute to a new, innovative, unbranded initiative to raise ambition in the lead up to the Paris climate negotiations in 2015. The overarching objective of this initiative is to create a highly professional diplomatic informal service to support a global network of actors in the achievement of an ambitious 2015 climate agreement coupled with stronger national ambition for the post-2020 time period. To do so, the European Relationship Manager will, in collaboration with other colleagues, provide a series of communications and briefing products to a diverse set of allies and constituencies, enabling them to effectively intervene for greater ambition in 2015.
The European Relationship Manager will work as part of a team to synthesize and analyse information and intelligence from national and international networks to resource allies enabling tactical interventions at the national and international level for a series of 2015 events including the Paris 2015 meeting. The European Relationship Manager will lead strategic and political thinking to help develop tactical intervention for various clients.
The role of European Relationship Manager will provide high quality political intelligence and analysis of both broader European politics and the climate and energy debate across the European Union. A number of country relationship managers exist inside Europe, and this post would be responsible for convening Pan-European interventions, agreed and supported by these country leads. The candidate should be well versed in how to shape and influence the Brussels narratives and politics, through utilizing the existing CBS customers, but also engaging new actors in the Brussels space.
- Synthesize high quality member state and Brussels – based intelligence analysis for the global team – deliver high quality, stress tested political intelligence, requiring a solid understanding of the European and national political context and the ability to triangulate conflicting intelligence reports. Understanding both the broader politics of the EU and its member states as well as the climate relevant agendas in Brussels. This requires the candidate to have excellent political contacts both within MS and Brussels;
- Undertake regular and consistent contact with the global team – participate in bi-monthly calls to share intelligence and co-develop priorities and act as an outreach point to stakeholders across Europe;
- Convene the UK, German and French country leads – develop close working relationships with the country leads in Europe to keep the European strategy on track;
- Nurture and engage influential constituencies – broker the relationship with non-climate constituencies including industry alliances, ambassadors, foreign affairs think-tanks, mayors, states and regions, security officials, and humanitarian organisations – with a view to aligning organisations around political interventions as agreed with the relevant national communications capacity of the region;
- Shaping country narratives – work closely with other Country Relationship Managers and Communications teams to co-develop international intervention priorities;
- Identify key narratives and spokespeople for communication priorities relating to the region – acting in an advisory capacity;
- Identify range of appropriate and effective tactical interventions to secure core political outcomes.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Minimum 6 years of diplomatic and strategic analysis in Europe;
- Experience in international relations and European politics and policy;
- Experience in developing tactical interventions to achieve political outcomes;
- Brings an entrepreneurial spirit, but is also a strong team player;
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Start date: As soon as practicable
Duration: The post will be that of an independent consultant
To apply: Please send your CV and cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate ´Recruitment – European Relationship Manager´ in the Subject line. Telephone calls will not be forwarded to the recruitment team.
Application deadline: Sunday, 22nd February
For more information on the ECF, please visit www.europeanclimate.org