European Climate Foundation seeks Media Assistant
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to promote climate and energy policies that greatly reduce Europe’s greenhouse gas emissions and to help Europe play a stronger international leadership role in mitigating climate change. The ECF is part of the international ClimateWorks Network (CWN) that shares goals, strategies and resources to address the global challenge of climate change mitigation as part of a global network of aligned organisations. It is funded by major multi-year commitments from donors in Europe and the United States. The ECF team is a highly dynamic group of individuals, combining ambition and passion with a rigorous, results-oriented and analytic approach to work. The ECF’s culture is one of intensity, enthusiasm, and mutual support.
ECF – European Climate Foundation seeks
in Berlin (preferably) or Brussels
The Strategic Communications Team
The ECF’s Strategic Communications Team is the outreach unit of the European Climate Foundation. Its role is to act as a centre of expertise for communication on climate change. Its objective is to help create political, media and public endorsement for strong action to address climate change at an international, national and sectoral level. It applies its communications expertise and resources to ensure that climate change issues are accurately reported and debated in the public space. The Strategic Communications Team delivers communications and advocacy services to ECF grantees and partners and builds this capacity in the climate community
The Strategic Communications Team is currently accepting applications for an enthusiastic individual to gain professional experience in climate change communications as a “Media Assistant”. This is an exciting opportunity for a graduate/young professional with a sincere interest in climate and energy issues and the way they are interpreted and reported in the media. The candidate will work in Berlin or Brussels as part of the broader communications and media team and participate in international projects.
Duties and responsibilities
- Working with the media team to support the international projects and the media needs of the ECF and its grantees;
- Contributing to the development and delivery of effective outreach strategies to drive progressive policy-making in the climate and energy field;
- Assisting with the expansion of the ECF’s network of partners;
- Making full use of IT and new media tools to disseminate the messaging of ECF projects and the work of its grantees further;
- Working with journalists on stories;
- Other ad hoc research work and administrative tasks.
Key competencies and characteristics
- Demonstrated interest in the mission and values of the ECF;
- Fast-learning self-starter comfortable in a fast-paced international environment;
- Professional experience and/or academic background in the fields of communications, energy, environmental issues, EU/international affairs or politics;
- Media-savvy with proven experience in writing/editing;
- Excellent IT skills and up to speed with the latest online communication tools;
- Displays enthusiasm to help reframe the public and media debate around the issue of climate change;
- Appreciates the vital role of administrative tasks;
- Ability to work both in a team and independently;
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills are essential; knowledge of other EU languages welcome.
With this opportunity, we offer
- An exciting international working environment in either Berlin or Brussels;
- Valuable first-hand professional experience and development;
- An introduction to the ECF’s vast network of connections in the field;
- A sense of satisfaction from contributing to the global climate debate;
- A 12 months fixed term contract (full time).
- The Media Assistant will be reporting to the International Communications Director.
- Salary: Competitive
Application deadline: 3 April 2016
How to apply
Please send a CV and a short cover letter in English explaining why you think you would be suited to the role, as well as your response to the below exercise by 3 April to SMO-MediaAssistant@Europeanclimate.org. Please use the following format in the subject line: MediaAssistant_Firstname_Surname.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates must be in possession of valid work permit for Belgium or Germany and available to start immediately.
Telephone calls will not be forwarded to the recruitment team.
Exercise: Summarize the key findings of the following report in three tweets: www.climatecentral.org/