European Coalition for Corporate Justice seeks Coordinator
The European Coalition for Corporate Justice is looking for a Coordinator, based in Brussels Long-term contract Full-time position Position to start on 1st December.
About the European Coalition for Corporate Justice (ECCJ)
With 21 member groups representing over 250 organisations from 15 countries, ECCJ is the only European coalition bringing together campaigns and national NGO platforms, trade unions, consumer organisations and academics to promote corporate accountability. The coalition is driven by a vision of a sustainable world in which corporations’ drive for profit is balanced by the interests of society at large, and where businesses respect human, social and environmental rights. We seek to tackle some of the root causes of corporate injustice by improving European laws governing business activities of and companies’ impacts on people and planet. ECCJ is a catalyst, drawing on the expertise and experience of organisations across Europe to provide a united voice at the EU level promoting the need for legal change.
The Coordinator will lead the work of the coalition. He/she will be:
- an experienced manager able to coordinate a well-functioning Brussels office and an active European network, and ensure good operational planning;
- a strategic and creative political thinker bringing a clear, shared vision, and able to take the right decisions regarding campaigning, advocacy and coalition development;
- a natural networker and facilitator able to engage and build consensus and collaborations with coalition members and a diverse group of other stakeholders, including policy makers;
- a persuasive speaker capable of promoting ECCJ’s message and policy proposals in public and political debates.
- Lead and manage ECCJ;
- Plan, oversee and implement the advocacy strategies and activities in close collaboration with the Steering;
- Group and other members; support the coordination of the national advocacy strategies;
- Oversee the coalition’s development and engage members in joint work;
- Represent ECCJ towards CSOs, policy makers and stakeholders at the EU and member state level; and build relationships and networks with relevant groups;
- Manage the Brussels office: comprised of a communications officer and, depending on availability of funding, a policy officer or an intern; as well as manage finances and office administration issues;
- Support the governance bodies – Steering Group and General Assembly – to ensure timely debate and decision making;
- Lead ECCJ’s fundraising and build relationships with funders.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- A commitment to, and thorough understanding of the mission of ECCJ and its vision of corporate accountability and policy change;
- At least 3 years’ experience of managing civil society organisations or platforms at a European and/or international level; including line-managing staff, financial management, administration;
- At least 2 years’ experience of policy advocacy; preferably with knowledge and experience of the EU and its institutions, and preferably on corporate accountability related policies;
- Excellent strategic skills: experience in developing organisational, campaign and advocacy strategies within an NGO;
- Strong consensus-building skills and demonstrated talent for coalition work;
- Experience/understanding of working with a management board;
- Experience of engaging with stakeholders from different backgrounds (policy makers, CSOs, business, etc.);
- Excellent communication skills – ability to articulate clear messages to different audiences;
- Complete fluency in English with proficiency in at least one other EU language (preferably French);
- Ability to understand complex legal concepts and at least a basic knowledge of Corporate accountability/Business and Human rights policies;
- Ability and willingness to travel within Europe;
- Be a citizen of an EU member state or have a valid residence and work permit for Belgium.
- Experience of public campaigning;
- Experience in fundraising at the international/European level;
- Experience/understanding of working in or with a very small organisation;
- Expertise in international and/or European law.
- A gross monthly salary between 3,631€ and 4,077€ – depending on experience – on the basis of a full-time contract; and benefits: 13th month, luncheon vouchers, pension scheme, hospitalisation insurance, travel insurance and contribution to local transport costs;
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment in an NGO building in the heart of Brussels. The ECCJ office is based in the Friends of the Earth Europe office in Mundo-B, and the Coordinator is employed by Friends of the Earth Europe;
- An active contribution to the protection of human rights and the environment and to policy change in Europe.
Please send an application letter of no more than 2 pages, together with your CV by 22 September to email@example.com with the following email subject: “Coordinator application – Your name”. Interviews are scheduled between 2 and 12 October in Brussels.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you have questions please contact Jerome Chaplier – firstname.lastname@example.org.