European Environmental Bureau seeks Communications Manager
The EUROPEAN ENVIRONMENTAL BUREAU, a federation of more than 150 environmental citizens’ organisations, has a vacancy for a full-time
We are looking for a committed communications expert with a passion for the environment to lead our communications team.
The work consists of:
- Managing the communications team;
- Drafting, editing and delivering press releases, blogs, opinion pieces for national and international media;
- Proofreading and editing documents in English written by non-native speakers;
- Coordinating publications: layout, contact with printers and distribution;
- Maintaining good relations with media contacts in and beyond Brussels and updating the media database;
- Organising press conferences and inviting media to EEB events;
- Monitoring media coverage;
- Managing the website;
- Collaborating with policy staff on press and outreach opportunities;
- Developing ideas and communication tools to strengthen membership engagement and improve the EEB’s visibility at national level in close cooperation with the Membership Coordinator;
- Contributing to further developing the EEB’s communication strategy.
Qualities and experiences:
- At least five years experience in communications or journalism;
- High level of written and spoken English (native speaker or equivalent); knowledge of other European languages an asset;
- Experience of managing a team;
- Proven writing and editorial skills;
- Experience in drafting and revising texts and press releases under time pressure;
- Experience with publication work;
- Interest in and good knowledge of the EU and environmental and sustainability matters;
- Competence with Word, Adobe tools, and web-based content management systems;
- Knowledge of social media and databases;
- Flexibility (we expect and offer flexibility regarding work schedules);
- Prepared and able to work in a dynamic working environment, sometimes under pressure.
The EEB offers:
- A competitive salary coupled with various benefits: holiday bonus, 13th month, pension scheme, luncheon vouchers.
Applications consisting of a letter of motivation, CV and completed questionnaire (below) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: COB Monday 2 January 2017.
Questionnaire for Communications Manager post:
Please answer the following questions:
- What is your understanding of the implications of the post-Brexit political debate on the future of Europe for the EU’s environmental policies? (max. 20 lines)
- What do you see as the main challenges in getting the media to report on:
a) environmental stories at a) EU and b) Member State level;
b) the EEB’s role?
As EEB Communications Manager, how would you address those challenges?
(max. 40 lines total question 2)