European Environmental Bureau seeks Policy Officer on Water and Biodiversity
Policy Officer on Water and Biodiversity
The policy officer will be based in the EEB office in Brussels and be part of the team on Nature, Land and Water within the EU Policy Unit. He/she will lead the EEB’s work on the Water Framework Directive and related legislative proposals and will monitor and coordinate the EEB’s involvement in efforts for a better implementation of the EU Nature Directives and the EU Biodiversity Strategy to 2020.
The work consists of
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of the relevant topics and carrying out/leading on specific in-depth research where required;
- Leading the formulation of EEB policy and strategy and drafting EEB positions with respect to the relevant topics;
- Networking with EEB members to promote activities to influence EU decision-making in the relevant fields, in particular coordinating the relevant EEB Working Groups;
- Liaising with key players from the EU institutions and other stakeholders to gather information and influence positions;
- Collaborate, coordinate and exchange information with current and potential partners (e.g. European Habitats Forum);
- Collaborating and strategizing with other staff members on related issues such as agriculture;
- Publicly present and defend the EEB’s positions, including in the media, in collaboration with line management and the Communications unit.
Qualities and experiences required for this post
- Have a relevant academic degree (additional work experience may be accepted in lieu of this);
- Have at least two years of work experience with EU environmental policy, preferably but not necessarily with NGOs, including analysis and formulation of policy;
- Have in-depth familiarity with ecosystems, including aquatic ecosystems, and, in particular, the policies in place to safeguard these;
- Be capable of understanding and presenting, in written and oral form, the key scientific, economic and legal dimensions of the relevant topics;
- Have a sound grasp of the operation of EU institutions, co decision and EU environmental law;
- Have excellent communications and networking skills;
- Speak and write English fluently, with fluency in other EU languages being considered an asset;
- Be well organized and able to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Be prepared to work outside normal office hours if necessary and to travel at short notice.
The EEB offers
- A competitive salary based on the level of experience*, coupled with various benefits: holiday bonus, 13th month, pension scheme, luncheon vouchers
- A permanent contract
- A pleasant working atmosphere in an international working environment
- A worthy cause to work for
* Depending upon the level of relevant experience of the candidate, consideration will be given to appointing the candidate at Senior Policy Officer level.
Applications consisting of a letter of motivation, CV and completed questionnaire (below) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
N.B. Only applications that include these three components will be considered.
Due to limited staff resources and numbers of CVs anticipated, only candidates selected for interview will receive a reply.
Deadline for Application: 11 February 2018
Interviews first round: Second half of February.
Proposed starting date: As soon as possible after 1 April 2018.
Questionnaire for candidates for this post
In your own words, please provide brief responses to the following two questions. Your responses should not exceed 300 words per question.
1. What would you consider to be a successful outcome to the ongoing fitness check of the Water Framework Directive and what would be the essential elements of a successful EU-wide NGO campaign over the coming 2 years to deliver this outcome?
2. What are the main causes of biodiversity loss in Europe and what type of measures are needed in order to ensure that the EU Nature Directives are properly implemented?