European Federation of Allergy and Airways Diseases Patients’ Associations seeks Health Policy and Patient Engagement Officer (m/x/f)
Health Policy and Patient Engagement Officer (m/x/f)
EFA is a vibrant alliance of European patient associations representing people with allergy, asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). EFA is dedicated to making Europe a place where people with these diseases have the right to best quality of care and safe environment, live uncompromised lives and are actively involved in all decisions influencing their health.
EFA Health Policy and Patient Engagement Officer is a new post, and the new person will be working on EU policies related to our mission so that the needs of people with allergy, asthma and COPD are at the core or driving policy and ensuring patient participation across EFA, whether as individual patient experts or members, policy or projects. This includes topics related to environment, healthcare and research, from a patient perspective. On policy and related patient engagement, the Officer will report to EFA Director of Policy and Communications and on capacity building and patient/member engagement in our survey projects to EFA Director of Operations and Projects. The Officer will have the support of the EFA Programme and Communications assistants.
The main tasks will include, but not be limited to:
- Monitoring and analysing EU policy developments related to EFA mission and objectives, communicating internally to members and developing templates for their engagement
- Researching for and drafting EFA positions papers for policy-makers and stakeholders
- Coordinating EFA network response to relevant EU policies
- Contributing to EFA policy campaigns and co-running the secretariat of the European Parliament Interest Group on Allergy and Asthma
- Liaising with EU policy-makers and stakeholders active in the field of public health so that EFA is present consistently and has continuousrelationships in particular with the MEPs
- Representing EFA at relevant external policy events and stakeholder groups
- Helping to ensure vertically patient and member engagement and development in EFA
- Contributing to the implementation of EFA projects programme by ensuring the involvement of EFA members and expert patients
- Coordinating EFA member working groups on specific topics
- Implementing capacity building training for members in the framework of EFA capacity building programme
- Organising related external and internal events
Candidates should have the following obligatory experience and skills
- Strong background in EU policy, proven through education (European studies diploma) or previous experience within the EU institutions
- Sound knowledge of EU health policy, as well as of the functioning of EU institutions
- At least 2 years’ experience in EU policy advocacy in Brussels-based organisations
- Understanding and/or experience in non-profit organisations (preferably patient organisations)
- Perfect working proficiency in English
- Savvy in office digital technologies (i.e. MS, teleconference platforms, social media)
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Very good social and interpersonal skills, a keen sense of responsibility and initiative
- Ability to work autonomously within a small team, and with tight deadlines
- Ability to multitask, plan and prioritise a complex and diverse workload
- Availability for occasional evening/weekend work, as well as travels
The below desirable requirements are a plus
- Degree in public health, law, political science or a related field
- Experience in campaigning and mobilisation Knowledge of EU environmental policies
- Previous experience in a European membership or affiliate -based organisation and in engaging members, whether individuals or organisations, at the national level
- Interest in allergy and respiratory diseases (specifically asthma and COPD), patientcentred healthcare system change, prevention and patients’ representation
- Experience in voluntary work
- Fluency in several EFA members’ languages
The Officer will receive a 1-year Belgium standard contract (renewable), including benefits; 13th month/bonus, lunch coupons, local travel support, pension scheme, hospitalisation insurance, with a competitive salary based on candidate’s experience. Extra time due to travel or busy period will be compensated by equivalent time off.
EFA is an equal opportunities employer and embraces diversity.
Please apply by sending an e-mail with the subject line “EFA Health Policy and Patient Engagement Officer” including your CV and a cover letter by 21st of May 2018, to: email@example.com.