European Public Health Alliance seeks Agriculture, Food & Trade Campaigner
EPHA, Europe’s leading NGO campaigning for better health, is seeking a highly motivated, creative and proactive individual to support us as EPHA’s
Food, Drink and Agriculture and Trade for Health (TTIP & CETA) campaigner
and strengthen EPHA’s advocacy and events.
We offer the chance to join a growing international network of organisations campaigning for better health and well-being in Europe with a focus on reducing chronic non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and health inequalities. The successful candidate will have experience in advocacy, campaigning & capacity-building to support EPHA’s work shaping policies with implications for public health in Europe and beyond.
EPHA is a change agent – Europe’s leading NGO advocating for better health. We are a dynamic member-led organisation, made up of 90 public health NGOs, patient groups, health professionals and disease campaign groups.
Our vision is of a Europe with universal good health and well-being, where all have access to a sustainable and high quality health system: A Europe whose policies and practices contribute to health, both within and beyond its borders.
About the role
The campaigner will support EPHA’s Trade for Health and Food, Drink & Agriculture campaigns alongside its members. The campaigner will work closely with the campaign coordinators in decision-making and ensure implementation of decisions and coordination of actions between members, as well as capacity building of EPHA members. The campaigner will strengthen the alliance by leading on organisational tasks, effective planning and implementation of the campaigns, including certain aspects of communications, and undertake some policy and advocacy responsibilities to complement members’ activities.
This will be a full time role. Overarching direction and role objectives will come from policy coordinators, under the supervision of EPHA’s Secretary General.
The campaigner will
- Support the elaboration and delivery of policy campaigns;
- Organise and facilitate meetings and events;
- Create (communications) resources for use by EPHA members to support their activities;
- Undertake outreach to new potential EPHA members and partners;
- Develop and deliver policy documents;
- Initiate and support smart collaborations between the network and potential allies;
- Participate in the activities and policy and strategy discussions of EPHA as well as supporting advocacy tasks;
- Provide support to EPHA members’ activities as required.
Eligibility – the successful candidate MUST meet all of the following criteria
- Strong motivation and demonstrable commitment to EPHA’s vision;
- 1-3 years’ experience in the European policy field, preferably as a campaigner or in public affairs;
- Campaigning experience (including strategic planning and implementation) and/or activism in a diverse international environment;
- Dynamic, creative and pro-active personality;
- Excellent communication skills, fluent written and spoken English;
- Advocacy skills;
- Self-starting and independent with strong interpersonal and team-working skills;
- Willingness to learn about public health policy-making, especially food and drink related non-communicable diseases;
- Enthusiastic about, and respectful of, working within a diverse community;
- Willingness to travel.
- Law, economics, political science or public health degree;
- Experience of drafting and editing public facing communications materials, website management;
- The ability to speak at least one other EU language fluently;
- Academic qualifications in public health, public policy or health economics;
- Experience of managing project budgets;
- Fundraising experience.
This is a full-time role, 37 hours per week, with a one year rolling contract with extensions depending on funding.
Full time salary, plus competitive benefits package (according to Belgian standards).
31st January 2017, COB
How to apply?
EPHA is an equal opportunities employer.
Interested individuals should send their applications to email@example.com, (1 page maximum cover letter and a 2 pages maximum CV without a picture) with Subject: Food & Trade Campaigner 2017 .
In the motivation letter, please illustrate how your experience is relevant to the criteria above, providing concrete examples of involvement in successful policy campaigns.
Applications not respecting the above requirements will be disregarded.
Due to the high number of expected applications, we regret that we can only contact those candidates who will be invited for interview.