EUROPEN seeks EU Public Affairs and Communications Manager (m/f)
EUROPEN – The European organization for Packaging and the Environment, Belgium, Brussels
Recognized as “The Voice of Industry for Packaging and the Environment”, EUROPEN is the only pan-European cross-sectorial Industry organization dedicated exclusively to packaging and the environment. It represents the packaging supply chain in Europe with a direct corporate membership ranging from raw material suppliers, over packaging converters to brand owners.
EUROPEN aims to achieve a fully accessible European market for packaging and packaged goods, whereby best use is made of the role, benefits and functions of packaging in society, in the most sustainable manner.
To support our team in Brussels, we are currently looking for an
EU Affairs & Communications Manager (m/f)
She/he will be responsible for EU public affairs, engagement with EU institutions and external stakeholders as well as for internal and external communication tasks. The EU Affairs and Communications manager will report directly to the Managing Director.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO WILL
1. Monitor & analyse relevant EU legislation and policy developments in Brussels on packaging and the environment.
2. Draft EUROPEN positions in co-ordination with the relevant team, whenever appropriate, under the supervision of the Managing Director
3. Develop and implement, together with the Managing Director and Policy Officer, advocacy and communication strategies.
4. Develop and implement an effective internal and external communication and outreach programme, including website content management, our social media strategy and our internal membership information programs (newsletter etc)
5. Represent EUROPEN at external events, including making conference presentations.
6. Liaise with EUROPEN members, organize and attend members meetings, coordinate follow-up actions.
• Strong expertise in EU decision making as well as EU politics, policies and actors influencing EUROPEN’s membership and remit as well as a good understanding of how to communicate EUROPEN’s positions and messages to the various EU target audiences;
• Experience with/good insights in EU environment policy in general and waste management and the Circular Economy in particular;
• Communication and EU media relations expertise and experience in verbal and written form. Experience with website development, membership engagement and social media.
• Proven project management and issue management skills in a dynamic public affairs environment.
• A minimum of five years practical experience in an industry organisation, consultancy or one of the EU institutions with demonstrable skills in issue analysis and project management.
• Fluency in English and at least one other EU language.
• The capacity to clearly express ideas orally and in writing.
• Collaborative, inclusive style and a strong team spirit
• Listening skills, empathy and a multi-cultural mindset
• Ability to engage openly and positively with critics as appropriate
• Networking and personal communication skills
• Proactive and flexible
• A challenging position, working with a small motivated team in an environment that offers true job satisfaction.
• A compensation package in line with experience and function responsibilities, including pension and hospitalisation schemes.
Preferred starting date 4 January 2016