Friends of the Earth Europe seeks Campaigner on Transparency and ‚Better Regulation’
Friends of the Earth Europe campaigns for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. It unites 32 national organisations with thousands of local groups and is part of the world’s largest grassroots environmental network, Friends of the Earth International.
Friends of the Earth Europe (FoEE) is looking for a
Campaigner on Transparency and ‚Better Regulation’
starting as soon as possible, preferably by May 1st 2016, and based in the FoEE office in Brussels.
The campaigner will work within the Economic Justice (EJ) program. Our work on transparency and ‚Better Regulation‘ aims to make decision making processes at EU level more transparent and open and less captured by corporate interests. We campaign for a mandatory lobby register, stricter rules for lobbyists and decision makers to avoid conflicts of interest and other scandals. We also counter the deregulation trend in Europe that underlies the Better Regulation agenda of the EU.
The campaign work closely with key NGO allies, such as ALTER EU and the Better Regulation Watchdog. For this position we are looking for a highly organised, experienced, creative, energetic and motivated individual. The campaigner will report to and be task managed by the coordinator of the Economic Justice team.
Key responsibilities are to:
- Develop FoEEs policies, expertise and strategies on Transparency and Better Regulation;
- Develop ideas, write and/or manage reports, studies and other communication materials;
- Engage in advocacy at EU and, where appropriate, member state level;
- Develop and implement the campaign activities, in close cooperation with other members of the campaign;
- Coordinate our activities and strategies with key allies;
- Carry out planning, budgeting, fundraising;
- Represent FoEE externally, including to the media;
- Maintain an overview of the key relevant research, events and policy developments;
- Report to and advise the coordinator of the Economic Justice team on the campaign;
- Contribute to development of strategy and tactics of the Economic Justice program.
- Two-three years’ experience in working with an NGO at EU or international level, including advocacy work and corporate campaigning;
- Experience in managing campaigns including the various responsibilities involved (such as fundraising, research, planning, lobbying);
- Ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances;
- Understanding of the problems related to transparency and corporate capture;
- Experience in dealing with stakeholders from different backgrounds: decision makers,
- MEPs, NGOs, FoEE member groups, activists, lobbyists, media, etc.;
- Complete fluency in English with proficiency in at least one other EU language;
- Good oral and written communication skills – able to articulate clear messages to a variety of different audiences;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Creativity: able to think out of the box and find new ways to campaign;
- Flexibility: able to attend evening/weekend meetings and undertake travel.
Salary between Euro 2.270 and 2.930 gross, depending on experience, plus benefits (13th month, luncheon vouchers, pension scheme and hospitalisation insurance). Conditions are according to Belgian legislation including the legal ability to live and work in Belgium. We offer a full time position, starting with a 1 year contract, to be extended in case of good performance and availability of funding.
FoEE offers a highly motivating working environment in an international NGO and office located in an environmentally friendly NGO building.
To apply please send a motivation letter, including a CV, by latest April 5 2016 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only candidates who will be invited for interviews will be notified. Interviews are scheduled for mid-April.