Gilead seeks Patient Advocacy Manager
Patient Advocacy Manager
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercialises innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
This is a newly designed role with the Market Access team in Belgium & Luxemburg (Belux), reporting to the Head of Market Access. This role has responsibility for managing community affairs in Belgium & Luxemburg, across all Gilead disease areas, and acting as the lead contact point for patient associations in these geographies.
The role requires you are based in Belgium, and will require travelling within the Belux, and quarterly travels within Europe.
As Community Manager you will be our voice to the key patient associations and will work closely with the entire organization in the Belux and the EMEA management in Stockley Park. Due to Gilead’s unique operational structure, this role is highly visible and you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on the Belux business.
You will need to quickly develop an understanding of essential patient needs and work with internal and external partners to ensure that Gilead is able to effectively engage with patient associations.
- Assess community landscape and determine strategies for developing, improving community relations.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with key advocacy and community groups and individuals.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with key stakeholders across the treatment landscape.
- Manages and executes meetings and communication with Community Advisory Groups to gain insights/feedback for strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Determines and manages promotional activities at key community conferences.
- Works collaboratively with Corporate Communications EMEA to identify synergies and maintain a positive corporate image within the marketplace.
- Works collaboratively with Government/Public Affairs and Market Access to identify synergies and maintain strategic focus on behalf of commercial team
- Effectively manages multiple agency partners to produce deliverables within timelines and allocated budget.
- Gains approval for marketing materials through internal review process and adheres to established SOP.
- Sets priorities in circumstances of continued complex and conflicting requirements.
- Utilizes high level of business acumen in analyzing and coordinating activities from identified industry trends, competitor’s resources and practices.
- Sets a positive example for others to follow – shares own expert knowledge – models standards of performance, offers guidance and support
- Ensures that all marketing activities are in compliance with regulatory and legal requirement
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- Proven expertise as a leader with well developed influencing and negotiating skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to lead, interact with, focus, resolve conflict and drive consensus among individuals from a variety of cultures, and disciplines.
- Must have a strong presence with ability to command respect through exercise of sound business judgment and clear decision-making.
- Excellent communications skills with an ability to efficiently and productively communicate both orally and in writing are required.
- Proven project management skills, performance management, planning, prioritization, objective setting, meeting management and plan execution.
- Must possess the ability to maintain, develop, and utilize a level of product and therapeutic disease knowledge to promote the appropriate use of Gilead products to Key Opinion Leaders.
- Experience managing cross-functional teams or work groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of pharmaceutical regulatory requirements and impact on development of marketing materials is required.
- Must have a successful development of external relationships among multicultural populations and organizations.
- Must be fluent in conversational and written Dutch, French and English.
- Having a track record of successful pharma/biotech patient/community marketing with an understanding of expense budget planning and tracking.
- Expertise in implementing a pharmaceutical communication plan targeting patients, healthcare providers, and advocacy/community organizations.
- In-depth experience or exposure to Gilead franchises is a plus.
- Expertise in prior roles with Advocacy, Community and National Health systems and services is preferred.
- Typically requires a MS degree or equivalent and minimum 5 years of relevant pharmaceutical commercial experience. An advanced degree is desirable. A minimum of 3 years in product marketing or advertising focused on consumers or patients are desirable.