Gilead seeks Senior Manager, EU Affairs
Senior Manager, EU Affairs
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercialises innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
EMEA Government Affairs aims to act as a critical link, connecting governments with Gilead science and connecting Gilead with policymakers’ needs and expectations. We strive to be a thought-leading function valued for its analysis, insight and ability to separate the signal from the noise and to provide to the organisation the capability to inform policy change that enhances patients’ access to Gilead innovation.
Our vision of success is to foster an environment where governments value, reward and support access to Gilead’s innovation.
This is a newly created role with the Government Affairs team reporting to the Director, Government Affairs, EU & EMEA Region 1. In recognition of the growing influence the EU policy debate has on our business, Gilead recently established an EU Affairs office based in Brussels with responsibility for representing the company to the EU institutions and the wider EU stakeholder community.
- Anticipate, identify and prioritise EU legislative dossiers and issues that may affect the business objectives and / or the operations of Gilead in the European Union
- Drive the development and implementation of an EU engagement programme aligned to Gilead’s EU policy priorities, with a focus on market access policy and IP
- Contribute to establishing Gilead as a highly innovative, pro-access company and as a thought leader in HIV and HCV amongst the EU institutions
- Develop cross-functionally agreed policy positions, briefing papers and materials to support Gilead leaders to impactfully engage with EU stakeholders around priority issues
- Working with the Directors of Government Affairs for liver disease and HIV, develop a strategy for shaping the Brussels environment aligned with therapy area public policy objectives
- Act as an ambassador to EU stakeholders and build and maintain trust among EU decision makers and opinion formers
- Build a personal network of decision makers, influencers and opinion formers and ensure ongoing communication of Gilead’s concerns and interests
- Facilitate a strong network of policy consultants who will support the delivery of our activities. Manage these relationships to ensure effective delivery of projects to time and budget.
- Play an active role in the EMEA Government Affairs Team and contribute to the development of the Government Affairs discipline within Gilead
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- In-depth knowledge of the EU political and policy environment and an understanding of policy issues relevant to pharmaceuticals
- Experience of interacting with external stakeholder groups to advance policy goals
- Strong track record of implementing projects with defined outcomes in a government affairs or policy role
- Excellent strategic thinker with ability to formulate, develop and execute on agreed strategies.
- Sound business judgment and analytical skills.
- Skilled at leading cross-functional teams or working groups and a strong team player.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills
- Resilient profile with the ability to deliver in an ambiguous environment
- Ability to engage and manage multiple stakeholders to achieve the objective
- Curious with learning agility
- Operationally excellent
- Organised with systematic approach to prioritisation
Key Performance Measures
- Agreed government/public affairs programs executed to time and budget.
- Extent and quality of Gilead external relationships among identified key stakeholders.
- Build/enhance Gilead reputation with key stakeholder groups.
- Progress towards achievement of public policy goals.
Gilead Core Values
- Integrity (Doing What’s Right),
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity),
- Teamwork (Working Together),
- Excellence (Being Your Best),
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility).