Governance Expert (m/f/d)
Energy Community seeks
Governance Expert (m/f/d)
The Energy Community Secretariat is one of the institutions set up under the Treaty establishing the Energy Community (the “Treaty”). The Energy Community is an International Organization with its seat in Vienna. The Secretariat has overall monitoring, coordinating and administrative functions in regard with the implementation of the Treaty by the Parties to the Treaty.
Based on the ongoing Energy Community Work Program, the Secretariat looks for a professional who is interested in an engagement opportunity at a position of Governance Expert (m/f/d) interested in an international employment opportunity and committed to the core values of our institution:
Professionalism – Integrity – Cultural Sensitivity
- Assist the Contracting Parties in designing holistic and inclusive legal and policy frameworks in the areas covered by the Energy Community Treaty (“the Treaty”), including plans and strategies, on national, sub-national and regional levels;
- Assist the Contracting Parties to the Treaty in preparing the transposition and the implementation of the Clean Energy Package;
- Assist the Contracting Parties to the Treaty in managing a just transition, including in supporting coal regions within Contracting Parties;
- Review compliance of plans, strategies and measures taken by the Contracting Parties to the Treaty with the acquis, policies and targets adopted by the Energy Community, in particular the national energy and climate plans;
- Contribute to the overall monitoring of the progress related to the implementation of the Energy Community acquis by the Contracting Parties to the Treaty, including the preparation of reports;
- Contribute to the assessment of complaints and cases under Article 90 of the Treaty;
- Contribute to the development of the decarbonisation dimension of the Energy Community, including carbon pricing, by the preparation of analyses, strategies and proposals;
- Perform analytical work and research on governance issues related to the Energy Community;
- Perform any other task, related to the activities of the Energy Community Secretariat as requested by the Head of Unit or Directors.
Following competencies and skills are required:
- An advanced university degree with a specialization on law, political science, economics or similar;
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in policy and strategy design and implementation, including with European Union legislation and policy in the areas covered by the Responsibilities;
- An understanding of the energy sectors as well as an understanding of political and economic issues in Contracting Parties to the Treaty will be an asset;
- As English is the working language of the Energy Community, fluency in spoken and written English is indispensable;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries;
- An ability to establish and maintain working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for cultural diversity;
- Strong presentation and negotiation skills;
- Excellent drafting skills.
The Governance Expert will be offered a contract for three years, with a probation period of 6 months, which may be renewed. The duty station is in Vienna.
Monthly gross salary will be at a level of EUR 6.644,00 that is an all-inclusive, tax exempted package of remuneration. This basic salary is subject to inflationary adjustments on annual basis. The terms and conditions of employment are based on the provisions of the Agreement between the Republic of Austria and the Energy Community regarding the seat of the Secretariat.
The commencement date of the employment shall be preferably 1 July 2020.
Selection procedure and next steps
According to Article 69 of the Treaty, the Director selects and appoints the staff of the Secretariat.
The Director will be supported in the selection procedure by a Selection Committee established in accordance with item III.15. of the Rules for Recruitment, Working Conditions and Geographical equilibrium of the Secretariat’s staff of the Energy Community. The Selection Committee will agree on the shortlist of candidates meeting best the selection criteria as referred to in this vacancy notice. Before considered for an appointment by the Director, the successful candidate will undergo a medical examination by the Energy Community’s medical practitioner.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview to take place in Vienna at the premises of the Secretariat, at an estimated date of 2 June 2020.
Applications and deadline
For applications to be valid, candidates must submit their application using on-line recruitment
form for the position. CV’s and motivation letters must be attached. The form is available here.
Supporting documents (e.g. certified copies of degrees/diplomas, references, proof of experience, etc.) should not be sent at this point but must be submitted at a later stage of the procedure if requested.
Applications have to be sent by 25 May 2020, 17:00 CET (submission date of recruitment form) at the latest.
Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!