Greenpeace seeks Senior EU Media and Communications Manager
If you can spot a news story a mile away and write compelling English copy, this might be just the job for you. Greenpeace is looking for an experienced, motivated and creative communications manager for its European Unit in Brussels. It’s a great opportunity to be at the frontline of the political battle to protect our environment, so read on.
Senior EU Media and Communications Manager
Main purpose of the job:
- To stimulate quality media coverage in support of Greenpeace’s policy objectives at EU level.
- You have at least four years of solid experience in journalism, media relations and/or communications;
- You have a sharp news sense, a decent grasp of environmental issues, and are at home working with the media. Brussels/EU experience is an advantage;
- Your writing is clear and precise and your English is native-level. A good knowledge of German, French or other EU languages is a distinct advantage;
- You can develop and implement media/communication strategies within a challenging political context;
- You are committed to social change and environmental protection, and have a positive and open attitude.
- You are a good networker who is able to establish relationships within the EU press corps and inside the organisation;
- You can adapt your writing to any online or offline channel to produce lively and persuasive material – from hard-hitting press releases, to snappy tweets and comprehensive Q&As;
- You can translate technical language into accessible information rapidly and in an engaging style;
- You are used to working the phones and can operate independently or in close cooperation with policy, campaigns or communications colleagues;
- You are not camera shy and can act as a spokesperson for the organisation;
- You have a high level of initiative and are able to seize media/communication opportunities;
- You are an effective team-player and can help develop the media/communication skills of policy colleagues;
- You can contribute to the planning, development and delivery of breaking stories or investigations;
- You can use tools and data to monitor and analyse the impact of your work;
- You are stress-resilient, and able to prioritise competing demands to deliver high quality work on time;
- You understand the importance of day-to-day administrative tasks.
What we offer:
- Work within a dynamic, committed and effective international team, and with colleagues from across the Greenpeace world;
- Gain experience in a stimulating news environment and expand your knowledge on a range of environmental and policy issues;
- Actively contribute to the protection of the environment and to political change in Europe;
- Earn a competitive salary and benefits.
Please email your application in English to email@example.com and address it to Mr Stef Van den Eynde. Please write “Communications manager 2016” in the subject line, as well as your name and surname.
- A CV of maximum two pages (no photos, please);
- A cover letter of no more than one page outlining your motivation for the job and when you would be able to start;
- A blog post of no more than 600 words for the Greenpeace EU website, answering the following question: Brexit – opportunity or threat for the environment? There is no right or wrong answer, so please pick one and argue your case. Please also include an alternative title;
- Please feel free to also send in any writing samples (up to ten pages).
- The deadline for applications is 11 September 2016.
- Please follow the instructions carefully. Incomplete applications will be automatically excluded.
- Due to the volume of applications we receive, we regret that we will only be able to respond to candidates who are shortlisted for an interview.
Greenpeace European Unit is part of the international Greenpeace network, an independent global campaigning organisation that acts to change attitudes and behaviour, to protect and conserve the environment and to promote peace.
Greenpeace does not accept donations from governments, the EU, businesses or political parties.