GUE/NGL seeks Press Officer (m/f)
The European United Left/Nordic Green Left Group (GUE/NGL) in the European Parliament brings together MEPs from a range of European left and progressive parties – ecological, socialist, communist, and independent. In virtually all policy areas, the Group argues against the mainstream neoliberal prescriptions of the EU and is focussed on presenting progressive policy alternatives. Staff should be comfortable in this environment and both capable of, and fully at ease with, supporting our MEPs in their policy objectives.
The GUE/NGL has a small team, of 6 – 8 persons, responsible for the internal and external communications activities of the group.
It is seeking to strengthen this team with a
Press Officer (m/f)
The successful candidate will have:
- English to mother-tongue standard; proven skills in drafting and editing press releases; and several years experience in press and public relations work.
- S/He should be familiar with the operation of the European institutions and progressive politics at the European level and be able to anticipate the positions of our MEPs in order to respond to events as quickly as possible.
- Applicants should also be at ease with liaising with the press officers of the different national political delegations in the Group.
- A good knowledge of some of the other main languages of the Group is desirable and training/experience in other communications skills including social media, audiovisual, design, event organisation etc. will be a distinct advantage.
- It is intended to fill this vacancy in February 2016.
- Applications received in response to the recruitment notice in May 2015 will be re-examined and so need not be resubmitted unless new information is to be considered.
- The post will initially be filled at Contract Agent FG.III or IV and are expected to run until the end of the current legislature (12/2019) or beyond.
- Subject to the overall staff allocation of the Group, these vacancies are likely to be advertised at Temporary Agent level before the end of 2016.
Separate applications, including a one-page motivation letter, should be addressed to Ms Gay Kavanagh at the email or postal address below and should be received by 21 December 2015.
Write Press Officer on the envelope or in the subject line.
Applications for the Press Officer should include a 500-word piece in English on “EU policies for refugees and migrants: what needs to be changed?”
Ms Gay Kavanagh
GUE/NGL Group – PHS05B075,
Rue Wiertz 43,