Humane Society International seeks Senior Policy Advisor
Senior Policy Advisor
Multilateral and Financial Institutions
Humane Society is the largest animal welfare organization in the world. It is one of the few organizations working to help all animals – including animals on farms, companion animals, animals in laboratories, and wildlife. Through fieldwork, policy formation, humane education, direct care and services, and funding of in-country partners.
Humane Society has its roots in the United States, is expanding fast across the globe, and wants to increase its presence and visibility in Europe.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
To identify and create opportunities for promoting plant-based foods through various channels operated by multilateral institutions and processes, particularly those focused on environment (including climate change), health, sustainable consumption, and investment. In coordination with HSI’s Farm Animals department and HSI/Europe, this position will also work with policy makers in the EU to end financing of battery cages and sow stalls by export credit agencies and international finance institutions in which EU member states are major shareholders. The position reports to HSI Europe’s Executive Director and is under the strategic guidance of HSI’s Farm Animals department at HSI’s global headquarters in Washington DC. The position also requires collaboration with HSI’s country and regional offices in the UK, Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify and build relationships with key players in multilateral institutions and processes focused on agriculture, health, environment, and sustainability such as the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the World Health Organization, the World Bank Group, and similar institutions;
- Represent and coordinate HSI’s involvement in coalitions, meetings, and other events relevant to the purpose/goals of this position;
- Develop and implement a strategy for promoting investment in plant-based products by major financial institutions in Europe;
- Within international fora and in the media, highlight the success of HSI’s offices and programs, particularly in developing and emerging markets, in promoting healthy, affordable, and sustainable plant-based food choices;
- Meet regularly with policy makers in Brussels and in London about promoting animal welfare standards in international finance institutions’ agricultural investments;
- Organize conferences and events relating to the sustainable, animal-friendly financing in the food sector.
NECESSARY EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (essential, unless otherwise stated)
- University degree;
- Fluent written and spoken English;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- At least 10 years of experience working on sustainability and/or animal welfare issues;
- Knowledge and understanding of the environmental, health, and animal welfare impacts of animal agriculture;
- Knowledge and understanding of international development and/or finance institutions;
- An existing network of contacts within UN agencies and multilateral institutions strongly preferred;
- Experience influencing public policy at the national or EU level strongly preferred;
- Flexibility to travel, stay away overnight, work out of hours and at the weekend as necessary;
- An understanding of and commitment to animal protection issues.
Please send a cover letter and CV to Ruud Tombrock, Executive Director for HSI/Europe at email@example.com. Application deadline is June 1, 2018.