APPLiA seeks Junior Policy Specialist
Junior Policy Specialist
The Home Appliance industry, represented by APPLiA – Home Appliance Europe, is looking for two Junior Policy Specialists to join its dynamic team in Brussels.
APPLiA represents the common interests of home appliance manufacturers in Europe. The Association has 20 Direct Members and National Associations covering 25 countries. It promotes the industry’s mission to increase appliance performance while reducing its impact on the environment. It plays an active role in the fields of energy efficiency, ecodesign, energy labelling, e-waste, resource management, smart living, trade, safety and standardisation.
The successful candidates will work on European Union (EU) advocacy issues and play a supporting role to the environment team and the energy team in APPLiA. The tasks will cover all aspects of EU environment & energy policy and legislation relevant to the home appliance sector, such as ecodesign and energy labelling legislation, e-waste, circular economy, resource efficiency, chemical and material restrictions, end-of-life policies.
We are looking for an independent, motivated and well-organised person, with some experience in project management. He/she is a good communicator with a positive attitude, a strong sense of teamwork and can adjust easily to changing circumstances.
- Support in developing and executing advocacy on relevant dossiers, in close coordination with the APPLiA membership;
- Support in promoting and representing the home appliance sector towards the European Institutions;
- Support in working closely with other stakeholders, such as NGOs and consumer organisations on environmental issues;
- Support in coordinating advocacy positions with national other European industry associations;
- Support in intelligence gathering and in analysis of documentation and legislative proposals related to the current EU environment and energy policy agendas;
- Support in writing position papers and presentations and defending them towards the EU decision makers and other stakeholders;
- Presenting relevant topics to the APPLiA membership at working group and general assembly meetings;
- Support in managing working groups;
- Preparation of meeting agendas, minutes, presentations, documents and logistics;
- Managing model databases
- Some experience in EU affairs, preferably in Brussels;
- Good knowledge of the EU institutions and the decision-making process;
- Knowledge and understanding of EU energy and environmental policy issues;
- Previous professional experience in a trade/industry association or with the home appliance sector will be considered a strong asset.
- Relevant Bachelor or Master’s Degree: Economics, Environmental, or Political Science preferred;
- A scientific education will be considered if supported by education and/or experience in the European political environment.
- Good level of general computer literacy: Google Docs, MS Office, presentations, spreadsheets, databases, web-meeting platforms;
- Project management and presentation skills;
- Good analytical skills and an ability to assimilate the various aspects of an issue rapidly;
- Good skills to both write and edit engaging reports, briefing and position papers.
- Independent, able to work autonomously as well as within a team;
- Flexible, ability to work on a number or projects simultaneously and to manage competing demands and deadlines;
- Capacity to work effectively in cross-cultural and diverse stakeholder environment;
- Ability to manage relationships with colleagues and members constructively, diplomatically and with discretion;
- Comfortable speaking in public and to large groups.
- Fluent English (both spoken and written);
- Other major European languages an asset.
- The opportunity to work in an EU related environment within an innovative industrial sector and a multinational, dynamic association;
- A motivating, multilingual and multicultural working environment;
- Salary package according to Belgium law;
- 1-year contract (possibility to renew);
- Reporting to the Policy Director.
In order to be considered, each candidate is requested to produce a short essay (one-page maximum) or PowerPoint presentation (5 slides maximum) on the EU Plastics Strategy and the impacts for the Home Appliance sector.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and essay or PowerPoint presentation to:
email@example.com by 30 June 2018.
Interviews foreseen during first two weeks of July.
Start date: 3 September 2018