Lenovo seeks Government Relations Counsel and Manager
Government Relations Counsel and Manager
Overall purpose of the job
As a member of the Government Relations team, you will be responsible for establishing key relations in government sectors to positively build Lenovo’s reputation with regard to cyber security, industry standards, competition matters, commitment to environment (e-waste, recycling and take back programs), respect of intellectual property rights/patent reform and other issues.
The position will report to the Director, Government Relations.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to
Advocacy and External Relations
- Government Relations outreach to proactively build strategic partnerships in government sectors (including when appropriate regional levels) resulting in approval and use of Lenovo’s products by European governments.
- Develop and implement Lenovo advocacy strategies and activities with focus on EU institutions
- Lead and coordinate filings for EU Competition matters
- Monitor legislation and weigh-in with officials as needed to protect the Company’s interests
- Lobby with and participate in industry trade associations to further Lenovo’s goals
- Support a pro-China agenda and free trade platform
- Participate in industry and government groups focused on creating rules for (1) standard setting organizations in the Intellectual Property (IP) area; (2) rules and processes for licensing standard essential patents; and (3) patent injunctions and damage awards
- Manage and work with outside counsel
- Direct, develop, coordinate and advise on internal policies related to Lenovo’s external affairs and relationships with various governments.
- Collaborate with Lenovo Communications and Marketing units to develop internal communication plans and programs regarding government legislation that affects the organization’s operations.
- Work with Lenovo legal team on matters that relate to policy, regulation, and legal issues.
- Engage Lenovo management and business unit leaders when necessary.
- University Law Degree
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in public policy, government relations and lobbying
- Fluency in English and one or two other official languages of the EU are a requirement
- Excellent knowledge of the political and regulatory processes
- Proven track record of working effectively with policymakers and external stakeholders to influence the domestic and global legislative and regulatory processes
- Willingness to travel based on the needs of the business
Key Skills and Personal Attributes
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence and convince groups
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to adapt to a multicultural working environment
- Ability to think and act strategically with excellent understanding of political processes
- Results oriented individual with high degree of autonomy and pro-active mentality
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to construct coherent arguments
- Charismatic personality with excellent social, networking and lobbying skills