Lyondellbasell seeks „Government Relations Advisor“
„Government Relations Advisor“
The mission of the Government Relations EU office is to manage relations with EU institutions and, as required, national governments, to advance public policies that benefit the company while reducing risks from policies that threaten business, products and processes.
The primary purpose of the position is to assist the Senior Manager & Head of EU office, Government Relations, Europe, to whom this position is reporting, by helping to implement a comprehensive political strategy as well as by supplementing and developing outreach towards:
- EU institutions and stakeholders, for selected policy areas, to complement and expand current coverage;
- German federal, and as appropriate regional (Länder), authorities, agencies, trade associations etc., including German-speaking members of the European Parliament.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
As a member of the global Government Relations team, and as directed by the Senior Manager & Head of EU office, Government Relations, Europe, the job holder will, in particular:
- Track and analyse legislative and regulatory issues of interest to LyondellBasell, including developments in key EU institutions;
- Develop, implement and update a standard monitoring report for GR team and, as appropriate, internal stakeholders use;
- Track, map and update relevant stakeholders for issues of interest to LyondellBasell;
- Provide legislative and political intelligence, analyse and assess, and finally engage in advocacy on specific issues and geographical area(s) assigned to the job holder, developing and executing advocacy plans;
- Develop position papers/key messages/presentations that translate business needs or technical and scientific data into political information that resonates with policy makers;
- Participate, selectively but actively, in key horizontal or sectoral business associations such as VCI, Cefic, PlasticsEurope, AmCham EU; influence their positions to LyondellBasell’s benefit;
- Use own/pre-existing, develop and maintain working relationships with relevant stakeholders in European Parliament, Commission, Permanent Representations, governments, trade associations etc.;
- Act as alternate for the Senior Manager & Head of EU office, Government Relations;
- Represent the company as appropriate.
(Typical knowledge, qualifications and experience required for the job).
University degree in political science, business management, economics or science (chemistry in particular).
- A minimum of five years’ experience in either government, public service, EU institutions, ideally as an assistant to a member of the European Parliament or similar, consultancy or business in a related function.
- Strong working knowledge of EU and German political and legislative processes.
- Experience in working in an international environment.
- Appreciation for the cultural, political and business dimensions prevailing in Germany.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Demonstrate communication effectiveness with excellent written and spoken communication skills, delivered with the right balance of assertiveness and diplomacy.
- Always act and represent the company with integrity and with highest ethical standards.
- Strong work ethic: dependable, self-starter and autonomous but not independent, must be a real team player.
- Attentive to details.
- Possession of strong interpersonal skills essential, ability to communicate effectively to a broad spectrum of internal/external parties complex messages in a simple, straightforward fashion.
- Represent LyondellBasell in a variety of situations, thus fluent in expressing the company positions to individuals ranging from junior staff to senior country government/EU institutions officials.
- Possession of good business judgement; ability to manage situationally and weigh risks/benefits, refine messages and tailor actions based upon nuanced differences in each situation’s political environment.
- Ability to influence and engage dialogue in a non-confrontational manner with colleagues and senior management.
- Required languages are German (native) and English
- additional European languages are an asset.
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org