Microsoft seeks Government Affairs Manager
Government Affairs Manager
Job ID : 1054469
Microsoft’s Western Europe Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs (CELA) has an immediate opening for a Director of Corporate Affairs of Microsoft Belgium & Luxemburg. This is a great opportunity for an ambitious and experienced government affairs professional with a passion for the high technology industry and bold challenges.
Overall Scope And Purpose
- Microsoft’s Corporate Affairs mission is to shape relevant public policies, engage in outreach, and develop and drive programs that help Microsoft advance social and economic well-being, enabling people around the world to realize their full potential. In doing so, we work with government, industry and other community stakeholders worldwide, collaborating closely with teams across Microsoft, and demonstrating throughout our commitment to good corporate citizenship.
- The role’s primary purpose is to engage with government elites, public customers, key influencers and the civil society in Belgium & Luxemburg to promote Microsoft’s public policy goals and to strengthen Microsoft’s image and reputation.
- The successful candidate will be expected to provide strategic leadership and business insight, to master proactive planning and aligning various internal stakeholders, and to drive external relationships building with government, industry, key public customers, academia and NGOs.
- The position will report to Microsoft’s Assistant General Counsel, Corporate Affairs for Western Europe.
- The successful candidate will work as part of the Belgium & Luxemburg (BeLux) leadership team and will participate in the broader CELA community in the region and worldwide.
- He/she will also have a close and direct working relationship with the Country Manager of BeLux.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Developing, orchestrating and implementing, in partnership with colleagues, outreach strategies and campaigns to positively shape the public policy debate and outcomes. These issues include the Internet and software ecosystem development, on-line privacy and cyber-security, intellectual property rights protection, competition law, trade and market access.
- Working in close partnership with the public relations team to develop effective internal and external communications and citizenship strategies.
- Working closely with the Microsoft business leads in BeLux to keep them well informed and engaged on public policy issues, debates and trends and providing proactive advice on the impact and relevance of these issues to their businesses.
- Externally being a leading voice for Microsoft towards industry partners, trade associations, industry coalitions and think-tanks.
- Championing Microsoft values and the highest ethical standards in the conduct of Microsoft’s business and engagement with government customers and officials.
- Monitoring new and emerging policy issues that may affect Microsoft’s businesses in BeLux and beyond, in coordination with internal experts based in Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, USA.
- Approximately 6-10 years’ of professional experience as an attorney and/or a policy expert, in a political, legislative or public affairs role in one or more of: government; a multilateral organization; a corporate government affairs office; an industry association or coalition; or a policy focused research or think-tank organization. The ideal candidate will have had both public and private sector experience and will have experience with working on issues relevant to the technology industry.
- Demonstrated capability to build and maintain excellent relationships with high-ranking governmental authorities, research/academic institutions, community or industry influencers and other third parties who may have significant influence on public policies.
- Proven ability and skills to conceive, analyze, develop and execute medium-to-long term strategies and campaigns to deal with complex issues of technology, policy and law, involving multiple issues and stakeholders.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills in Dutch, French and English.
- Proven experience as an effective public spokesperson; must possess a strong desire and necessary interpersonal skills to proactively advance policy positions through high impact external engagement in small and large group settings.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills, as well as a strong client service focus, business acumen and the ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, deal with ambiguity, meet demanding deadlines and manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment.
- A BA degree in law, economics, communications, political science, international affairs or equivalent is strongly preferred. Knowledge of the high technology industry is a plus.
- A strong record of being a great team player, dedicated to collective successes with the ability to promote cooperation and facilitate problem resolution in a timely, creative and professional manner, with a solid sense of humor. Diplomacy.
- Solid understanding & knowledge of the political landscape assopciated with technicolohy regulations in Belgium & Luxemburg