Oxfam seeks Policy Advisor
The Policy advisor is responsible for the provision of top quality analysis and substantive inputs to the “Program and Advocacy (P&A)” department’s strategic plans and other strategic documents and advises the Senior Management Team and the General Secretary on ways to improve the impact and effectiveness of Oxfam Solidarité’s advocacy strategy by improving collaboration, building organizational capacity and improving the visibility of our advocacy work.
Advises the Program & Advocacy Director:
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses within the Oxfam International framework.
- Monitors economic, social and environmental policy developments and trends in Belgium and EU and advises the P&A director on relevant linkages to programs
- Provision of top quality analysis and substantive inputs to the department’s strategic plans and other strategic documents
- Advises on ways to improve the impact and effectiveness of the advocacy strategy
- Contributes to OSB’s political dialogue with the Belgian Government and donors
Collaboration (internal and external) – Identifying and building strategic partnerships/alliances:
- Works with the thematic Units to identify policy objectives and supports the development of appropriate and thoughtful strategies to achieving those objectives
- Works with the thematic Units to assess Oxfam Solidarity’s partnerships and strategic alliances on relevance for Oxfam Solidairty’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Coordinates Oxfam Solidarité’s representation within the relevant networks (Belgian associations, international networks) and with external actors (academia, think tanks, private sector, etc.)
- Coordinates Oxfam Solidarité’s network of relevant political contacts at different levels, based on the needs of Oxfam Solidairté
- In cooperation with the Public Engagement Department and the thematic teams, helps draft OSB’s advocacy strategies and messaging for mobilizing relevant audiences
- Coordinates with colleagues in the Oxfam confederation to share ideas and information about Oxfam’s global influencing agenda. Coordinates the development of Oxfam’s global Position Papers, Knowledge hubs, Global campaigns that Oxfam Belgium is part of (Grow, Inequality campaign & Rights In Crisis) and other relevant campaigns
- Coordinates advocacy related donor reporting and proposal writing with the Institutional Partnerships Unit
- Provides advice for improving the strategic interaction of Oxfam-Solidarity with Oxfam International
- Guide and support thematic officers to ensure they are fully equipped with relevant and contemporary ideas, tools and tactics in the market/industry to take forward the model of integrating advocacy in programs across all thematic areas
- Leverages different experiences and expertise of team members to achieve better and more innovative outcomes
- Leverages multi disciplinary, institutional knowledge and experience of other affiliates and OI
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
Visibility – Creating Visibility for OSB’s Capacity to Advocate
- Supports the organization of advocacy events and publications on relevant issues, including Report launches, advocacy of the main Reports findings among relevant Governmental agencies, civil society organizations and donors
- Identifies and develops activities to enhance the visibility of OSB advocacy efforts, in accordance with existing agreements in the confederation
- Reviews documents and materials intended for use within and outside the organization in order to ensure consistency and validity of advocacy messages;
- Analysis and creation of messages and communication strategies;
- Identifies opportunities to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy, in accordance with existing agreements in the confederation.
- Supports thematic teams in the writing of policy documents and Briefing Papers on key development issues, including public reports, opinion pieces, blog posts, and white papers
- Checks policy-related talking points and key messages to help guide and to inform OSB ‘s staff members for coherence purposes
- Coordinates the production of high quality research papers for OSB presentations at international workshops and conferences, and checks if they are in line with existing agreements in the confederation
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
1. Leadership and Management:
- Effective negotiation abilities and informal leadership skills in a multi-stakeholder, network environment
- Demonstrable organizational and project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects to deadlines
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills and ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Experienced in developing organizational strategies
- Strong knowledge and extensive experience of key development issues
- Proven advocacy skills to achieve results from a wide range of senior representatives coming from diverse political and cultural backgrounds.
- Track record in policy influencing towards governments and/or international institutions.
- Proven strategic judgment to seize opportunities to advance long-term goals
- Strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to team work
- Experience working in complex alliances across various cultural contexts and coordinating complex processes.
- Excellent communication skills for advocacy work
- Ability to liaise with a wide range of people, both internally and externally, and at many levels, with credibility, tact and diplomacy
- Knowledge/experience of various types of influencing
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills with demonstrable ability to lead, influence and motivate others
- Fluent spoken and written English, French and Dutch (or willingness to learn French or Dutch)
- Computer literacy
Oxfam vous propose :
- Un contrat à temps plein (38h) et à durée indéterminée.
- Lieu de travail : siège d’Oxfam-Solidarité, Rue des Quatre-Vents 60, 1080 Bruxelles.
- Salaire mensuel brut : entre min. 2.361,30 € – max. 4.003,5 € (en fonction de l’expérience utile), 13ème mois, chèques-repas et congé extra-légaux.
- Entrée en fonction : dès que possible.
Etes-vous la personne que nous recherchons ?
Envoyez votre CV et lettre de motivation avec la référence “conseiller politique” avant le 11 juin 2017 par mail à firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pour Oxfam, l’égalité des chances est importante. Les candidats sont donc sélectionnés sur base de leurs qualités et compétences, sans tenir compte de l’âge, l’origine ou le sexe.