Platforma seeks Communication Officer (m/f)
PLATFORMA is the network of European towns and regions active in development cooperation. It was established by the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR), together with other local, national, European and international level partners in 2008. PLATFORMA endeavours to facilitate exchanges of information among local and regional governments (LRGs), to coordinate their advocacy efforts as well as to promote decentralised cooperation among major stakeholders such as the European Parliament, the European Commission, NGOs and other associations active in development cooperation.
PLATFORMA counts 34 partners, including CEMR that provides its secretariat services. It has recently signed a partnership agreement with the European Commission that provides, among others, financial support.
Platforma seeks a
Communication officer (m/f)
- Under the supervision of the Director of PLATFORMA and in close cooperation with the other teams of the Secretariat, the PLATFORMA Communication Officer will be responsible to raise the profile of decentralised cooperation.
- You will be on the lookout for communication opportunities whether via press releases, tweets or articles targeting EU institutions, Europe’s towns and regions and development cooperation stakeholders.
- You will help us create a new website and you will feed it with news on a regular basis.
- As our communication expert you will advise and support your policy and projects colleagues on how best to highlight their work in Brussels and beyond, be it a position paper on draft EU legislation, an event on decentralised cooperation or a study.
- Our monthly newsletter to PLATFORMA’s partners will be yours to produce.
- The position includes some travels.
- As our audience is global, you will need to have excellent English (mother-tongue standard) both written and spoken, with very good French.
- As you will have a minimum of one to three years communication experience you will demonstrate proven skills in drafting and editing press releases, articles and web stories, turning complex or technical raw material into an attractive product.
- Obviously, digital communication holds no secret for you, from CSM to Facebook, from Twitter to Instagram…
- Also, you understand the specifics constraints and unwritten rules of communicating in “the Brussels bubble”.
- Finally, we at PLATFORMA like to think that we work in a special way: we do work as a genuine team, everybody ready to give everybody else a hand when needed. Team spirit and sense of humour are therefore definite prerequisites!
It would be nice…
… If you showed experience or interest in Europe’s towns and regions, in development cooperation, and if you have already worked with communicating agencies. By the same token extra languages would come handy as well as a basic knowledge of Photoshop.
Terms and Conditions
- The full terms and conditions will be set out in a contract made on the basis of Belgian law with the successful candidate. The following summarises some of the main points:
- The position is based in Square de Meeûs 1, 1000 Brussels.
- The contract is linked to the financing from the Commission and will last until July 2018. A contract extension is possible depending on further funding from the EU.
- The salary for this position will depend on the skills and experience of the candidate and will include the 13th month and holiday pay (“pécule vacances”).
- The job is for 38 hours per week (5 days), with normal office hours being from 9:00 to 18:00 (from Mondays to Thursdays); 9:00-16:00 (on Fridays)
- Flexibility in working hours will be required.
- Employees are entitled to 25 days of paid holidays per year, in addition to public holidays, as well as a week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
How to apply
Please send us your CV in French and a cover letter in English at:
The cover letter should already give us an idea of what sort of colleague you would be and how you would improve PLATFORMA’s communication in order to raise the profile of decentralised cooperation.
The deadline to send us your application is 8 January 2016 at midnight.
Selected candidates will be asked to come in to our offices for a written test and an interview.