Cooperative enterprises enable people around the world to become protagonists of their own social and economic development. The EU partnership programme ‘Cooperatives in Development – People-centred businesses in action’ (also referred to as #coops4dev) works on promoting the cooperative business model in global, regional and local development policies, and strengthens cooperative organisations as viable actors in development processes in their own rights. The programme is led by Cooperatives Europe and the International Co-operative Alliance, working together in a Coordination Unit, and its activities are jointly implemented by all ICA offices.
Cooperatives Europe’s main activities are to promote and defend the cooperative enterprise model and to provide services to members such as information & research, EU consultations and a platform for exchange. Cooperatives Europe is the Europe Region of the International Co-operative Alliance. More information is available at: www.coopseurope.coop.
The International Co-operative Alliance is an independent, non-governmental organisation established in 1895 to unite, represent and serve cooperatives worldwide. More information is available at: www.ica.coop.
Cooperatives Europe is looking for a Research Officer to join its international development team.
Research Officer (m/f/d)
Principle roles and responsibilities
The Research Officer will be responsible for implementing the research activities undertaken within the EU partnership, in collaboration with other research colleagues. These activities include a mapping of cooperative actors worldwide, an analysis of legal frameworks applicable to cooperatives at regional and national levels, and several thematic researches conducted on international development issues relevant to cooperatives. S/he will work in close cooperation with the EU Partnership Team and report directly to the International Development Director in the Coordination Unit.
The main role of the Research Officer is to contribute to the coordination activities required for the aforementioned research processes undertaken at the global level, and to the implementation of research activities led at European level within the program.
Key responsibilities are:
- Ensure the collection of qualitative and quantitative data from cooperative organisations and other key actors;
- Help to oversee and advance the research conducted on legal frameworks analysis;
- Take part in drafting and editing the reports, papers and internal notes produced within the global and European research processes;
- Facilitate the coordination process between the Research Officers from all ICA offices participating in the EU partnership;
- Liaise with a variety of stakeholders including cooperative organisations and external research partners such as universities or experts;
- Monitor international development topics relevant for the program’s research;
- When relevant, present research findings in internal or external meetings/events.
- University degree in law, economics, political sciences, or any other relevant field;
- Understanding of research processes and methodologies;
- Very good command of English;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team;
- Strong interpersonal skills, supporting a tactful and collaborative approach;
- Demonstrate commitment to cooperative values and principles.
- At least 2 years of experience linked to research activities, preferably conducted in an international context;
- Experience of work with membership organisations or civil society organisations;
- Knowledge of, and relevant experience with, statistics and statistical software;
- Experience in legal topics is an asset;
- Knowledge of other languages, particularly French and Spanish;
- Knowledge of the cooperative business model is a strong asset.
Terms and Conditions
Cooperatives Europe offers an open-ended contract (CDI) for this position.
Starting date is as soon as possible.
Candidates need to have, at the time of application, the legal right to work in Belgium. We regret that we are not able to apply for work-permits on their behalf.
Interested candidates are asked to apply by submitting the filled in application form available at https://coopseurope.coop/research-officer and a detailed CV to Recruitment@coopseurope.coop. Please mention in the email subject your name followed by ‘Research Officer’.
Deadline for applications is the 30th September 2019 (18h00 CET).
Please note that due to large numbers of applications and our limited capacity, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Interviews will take place in October 2019.
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.eu in your application!